Sania to lead Indian challenge in Fed Cup
New Delhi: Sania Mirza was on Monday named to spearhead the four-strong Indian challenge in next month`s Fed Cup, where the country will strive to get back to Group I in the Asia/Oceania zone.
The selectors made wholesome changes as they included national champion Rutuja Bhonsle, old hand Isha Lakhani and young Prerna Bhambri in the four-member squad.
The axe fell on Poojashree Venkatesha, veteran Rushmi Chakravarthy and Aishwarya Srivastava, who were part of the squad the last time around.
The team was relegated to group II after losing all the three round-robin league ties and then the play-off rubber to Chinese Taipei.
India had won only three matches and two of those were singles wins by Sania.
Rohit Rajpal was named as captain and Enrico Piperno the coach of the team.
The Group competition will be held in Shenzhen, China from January 30 to February 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand