Sania to lead Indian challenge in Fed Cup
New Delhi: Sania Mirza was on Monday named to spearhead the four-strong Indian challenge in next month`s Fed Cup, where the country will strive to get back to Group I in the Asia/Oceania zone.
The selectors made wholesome changes as they included national champion Rutuja Bhonsle, old hand Isha Lakhani and young Prerna Bhambri in the four-member squad.
The axe fell on Poojashree Venkatesha, veteran Rushmi Chakravarthy and Aishwarya Srivastava, who were part of the squad the last time around.
The team was relegated to group II after losing all the three round-robin league ties and then the play-off rubber to Chinese Taipei.
India had won only three matches and two of those were singles wins by Sania.
Rohit Rajpal was named as captain and Enrico Piperno the coach of the team.
The Group competition will be held in Shenzhen, China from January 30 to February 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Supreme Court bans diesel, petrol cabs in Delhi-NCR from May 1
- SHOCKING! Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Haryana - WATCH VIDEO
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to star in Ajay Devgn's ‘Baadshaho’?
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept