Sharapova hopes Sochi Olympics will put former home on world map
Moscow: Tennis star Maria Sharapova has spoken of her delight that her former hometown of Sochi will host next year’s Winter Olympics, an event she hopes will put the Black Sea resort on the map worldwide.
Sharapova spent several years living in Sochi before migrating to Florida at the age of seven to pursue her dream of a tennis career.
“I’m very happy that we’ll have the Olympics,” she said on Russia’s Dozhd TV channel Tuesday.
“When I’d just flown to America, I told everyone that I was from Sochi. No one knew about it. I hope the Olympics will change that, and that everyone will know what a wonderful city there is in Russia.”
She added she would definitely return to Sochi for Russia’s first Winter Olympics, which will take place Feb 7-23 next year.
Sharapova defended her Stuttgart WTA Premier title Sunday, beating China`s Li Na 6-4, 6-3 in the final of the clay-court tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre