Sharapova hopes Sochi Olympics will put former home on world map
Moscow: Tennis star Maria Sharapova has spoken of her delight that her former hometown of Sochi will host next year’s Winter Olympics, an event she hopes will put the Black Sea resort on the map worldwide.
Sharapova spent several years living in Sochi before migrating to Florida at the age of seven to pursue her dream of a tennis career.
“I’m very happy that we’ll have the Olympics,” she said on Russia’s Dozhd TV channel Tuesday.
“When I’d just flown to America, I told everyone that I was from Sochi. No one knew about it. I hope the Olympics will change that, and that everyone will know what a wonderful city there is in Russia.”
She added she would definitely return to Sochi for Russia’s first Winter Olympics, which will take place Feb 7-23 next year.
Sharapova defended her Stuttgart WTA Premier title Sunday, beating China`s Li Na 6-4, 6-3 in the final of the clay-court tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!
- Suspended Bihar BJP MLC Tunna Pandey sent to 12-day custody for molesting minor girl on train