Stephens suffers injury ahead of Australian Open
Sydney: Rising star Sloane Stephens` Australian Open preparation suffered an untimely setback with a wrist injury at the mixed teams Hopman Cup on Friday.
The 20-year-old American, ranked 12th in the world, retired after dropping her first set in her singles clash with the Czech Republic`s Petra Kvitova.
Kvitova took the first set 6-3 and Stephens then retired, citing a problem with her left wrist.
The injury is a significant setback for Stephens less than two weeks out from the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year and the event at which she announced herself on the world stage last year.
Stephens reached the semi-finals at last year`s Australian Open, beating countrywoman Serena Williams in the quarter-finals before bowing out to Victoria Azarenka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry