Stephens suffers injury ahead of Australian Open
Sydney: Rising star Sloane Stephens` Australian Open preparation suffered an untimely setback with a wrist injury at the mixed teams Hopman Cup on Friday.
The 20-year-old American, ranked 12th in the world, retired after dropping her first set in her singles clash with the Czech Republic`s Petra Kvitova.
Kvitova took the first set 6-3 and Stephens then retired, citing a problem with her left wrist.
The injury is a significant setback for Stephens less than two weeks out from the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year and the event at which she announced herself on the world stage last year.
Stephens reached the semi-finals at last year`s Australian Open, beating countrywoman Serena Williams in the quarter-finals before bowing out to Victoria Azarenka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan