London: For the first time since 9/11 attacks, UK has imposed a no-fly zone over the Wimbledon which began on Monday but made it clear that it was more to cut "noise" than for "security".
However, the general security for the sporting event has been notched up in wake of the upcoming Olympics.
Ground commander Superintendent Pete Dobson of the Metropolitan Police said that general security had been increased for this year`s tournament, which ends just 18 days before the Olympics, and that more uniformed and plain clothed officers would be on the ground.
"I am conscious that the attention is on London throughout the whole summer. I am acutely aware that if someone was to do something untoward here it could well have a knock on effect on the Olympics. There is a greater security awareness this year," he was quoted as saying by The Telegraph.
"We are always looking to improve security plans so we do review it and we do make some tactical changes so we can defeat anyone who is trying to do a hostile reconnaissance," he added.
He said the exclusion zone had been enforced to "minimise disruption" after the club made complaints last year about the noise.
However, he admitted that although the decision had not been driven by security "it did help" particularly as the Olympic tennis matches will all be played at the club, the report said.
Several individuals have also been banned from entering the site, many of whom are considered a particular threat to female players.
Their names have been circulated and they have been warned to keep away from the area for the duration of the next two weeks.
Armed protection officers are also on site to assist VIP guests such as members of the Royal Family, government ministers and ambassadors.