Over 84 per cent of the 27,651 electorate cast their votes on Wednesday in by-elections to 44 seats of three-tier panchayat system in Tripura, officials said.
Over a month-long hectic campaign for by-polls to two Tripura assembly seats ended on Thursday evening with opposition parties and ruling Left treating these by-elections as "prestigious electoral battle".
A senior Agartala government officer, missing and on the run for a fortnight after rape accusation, was arrested on Tuesday in neighbouring Assam`s Karimganj, police said.
Tripura Governor Tathagata Roy was on Sunday sworn in as acting Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
Six rebel Congress MLAs joined the Trinamool Congress (TMC) here on Tuesday.
Opposition Congress legislators raised questions in the assembly on Friday and demanded a statement by Chief Minister Manik Sarkar on the issue.
As many as 886 candidates of different political parties and independents are in fray for the 20 civic bodies including the 49-member Agartala Municipal Corporation, Member Secretary of the State Election Commission, Tamal Mazumder said.
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- Raees promotion: Shah Rukh Khan boards train from Mumbai to Delhi
- Andhra Pradesh: NIA team reaches Kuneru to investigate train accident
- Vijay Mallya loan default: CBI arrests 9, including IDBI Bank ex-chairman
- Jallikattu protests turn violent; Police station attacked, vehicles set on fire
- Coal scam: SC orders probe against former CBI chief Ranjit Sinha
- DNA: Today in history, January 23rd 2017
- DNA: Analyzing why most people do not follow traffic rules in India
- Is putting people's lives in danger the right way to promote films?
- Delhi: Republic Day full dress rehearsal today
- J&K: One terrorist killed in Ganderbal encounter
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore
- WATCH: Kiwi batsman Neil Wagner given run-out despite reaching crease before ball hit the stumps
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 sold out; here are the dates of the next sale
- Reliance Jio increasing data download limit in Happy New Year Offer?
- Lodha vs BCCI: Adamant on age cap of 70 years, Supreme Court allows Indian board to propose three names
- Ravi Shastri trolled hard by Twitterati after messing up post-match presentation at Eden Gardens
- 1 taxpayer owes 11% of India's individual income tax in 2014-15
- 'Mulayam Singh Yadav has been kept under house arrest'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: THIS international superstar made the comedian say 'Oh My God'