Gujarat was ranked on the top Monday, among states, on the ease of doing business index prepared by the World Bank, while Andhra Pradesh and Jharkhand were placed at the second and third positions, respectively.
States who cannot pay banks what they owe over the next few years could be forced to turn to the central government for help, putting pressure on India`s consolidated fiscal deficit.
With the MeT office indicating a below normal rainfall across the country in the coming monsoon season, the Centre has asked the states to make preparations to deal with the situation and take up works under the rural job scheme MNREGA.
The state-level bankers' committee and states have been asked to take immediate steps to mitigate the hardship of farmers following destruction of their crops by unseasonal rains and hailstorms, the government said on Friday.
States will receive Rs 466 crore as first tranche from auction of coal blocks, while the Centre will not keep any revenue from this upfront payment by bidders, said a top official.
He announced setting up a sub-group of state chief ministers to "study the 66 Centrally Sponsored Schemes and recommend which to continue, which to transfer to states, and which to cut down."
Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired the first meet of the NITI Aayog today, in which he said growth, investment and efficiency were the priority areas of the government.
States will get one-year time to implement the provisions of Goods and Services Tax (GST) after introduction of the new indirect tax regime from April 2016.
The state finance ministers suggested that the borrowing limits under the FRBM Act should be raised so that could raise money money to finance infrastructure.
The Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime aims at subsuming most of the indirect taxes at the central as well as state level.
Topping the list, Maharashtra alone claimed 20 percent in the total, followed by Andhra Pradesh (8.4 percent), Tamil Nadu (8.1 percent), Odisha (6.7 percent) and Uttar Pradesh (6.2 percent), the study said.
Seeking to involve state governments in boosting country's exports, the Centre has asked them to appoint export commissioners to step up efforts to boost shipments.
The Supreme Court on Thursday issued notice to the Centre and all states on a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking to ban cigarettes and bidis in the country.
When Prime Minister Narendra Modi referred to the organic farming of Sikkim, he was being more than politically correct.
State-owned Venezuelan oil giant Petroleos de Venezuela SA (PDVSA) has said it has made new oil finds in three different areas of the Andean nation.
Indian-Americans numbering 3.34 million is the third largest Asian community in the United States, after China and Philippines, a report said.
The Centre on Tuesday directed all states to take "urgent suitable action" in implementing the Supreme Court`s guidelines for safeguarding the interest of the death row convicts.
The Election Commission of India has appointed special observers for the biennial Rajya Sabha elections in Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Odisha, and West Bengal on Feb 7, a statement said Tuesday.
At a time when the UPA government is determined to push through the Women Reservation Bill during the ongoing winter session of Parliament, comes the shocking news of abysmally low participation of women candidates in the electoral process.
Environment Ministry has made it mandatory for state governments to conduct `carrying capacity` studies of river basins before any green clearances are granted for hydropower and river valley projects there.
The Government is committed to provide improved health facilities to the people and does not discriminate with any state in health matters, Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said on Thursday.
The Union Health Ministry has directed states to strictly implement the central rules to discourage consumption of cigarette and other tobacco products and act against advertising them directly or indirectly.
Rural poverty is becoming increasingly concentrated to northern and eastern states of the country, while the southern states are faring well in its alleviation, a new report has found.
The Centre on Monday asked the states to deal with communal disturbances with an iron fist.
The Supreme Court on Monday sought responses from the Centre on a PIL seeking direction to forthwith establish Police Complaints Authorities.
The Supreme Court on Monday sought responses from the Centre and state governments to a plea for improving the condition of mental hospitals in the country by providing adequate financial resources.
Sushilkumar Shinde said no recommendation of ARC on policing and public order will be implemented without the consent of CMs.
Dozens of American states are in a fierce competition, vying to become home to one of six new proposed drone test sites.
Amid demand for proper implementation of criminal laws, Centre asked states not to grant remission in a "wholesale manner" in cases where a death sentence has been commuted to life imprisonment.
Centre asked state governments to increase number of women in police forces to 33 per cent, saying environment must be created for women and weaker sections to visit police station without difficulty.
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- RJD-JD(U) legislators forcibly occupy govt bungalows in Bihar
- Chicago: Video of American cop shooting black teen sparks protests
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- ISIS 'poster girl' beaten to death after trying to escape Syria
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- Simon Harmer overshadows Imran Tahir on Day 1 in 3rd Test
- Nepal to seek details on shooting, SSB says smugglers on Indian soil
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Swaragini: Will Swara prove her innocence? Will Mom, Badi Ma have faith in her again?
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case