Phelps said in 2012 he was retiring but he came back for one last hurrah after feeling he wanted to bow out on his own terms.
The American, the most decorated athlete in Olympic history, added to his staggering title tally by overpowering the South African in the Rio final, clocking 1min 53.36sec.
The South African created ripples in 200m butterfly at London Olympics after snatching a fifth gold from the American superstar.
Phelps, who won the 100m fly at the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics, is now second in the world rankings behind the 50.86 of Hungarian Laszlo Cseh.
Vedika registered a time of one minute and 21.03 seconds to break the previous record of 1:21.96 which was set by Vania Kapoor of Karnataka in 2013.
Bharat Kumar had sit down with beggars near a temple to have his food.
Phelps clocked 51.38 seconds to win the 100 meter butterfly.
Campbell`s split time slashed a tenth of a second off the previous record of 51.01, set by Libby Trickett in 2009.
Phelps believes he lived in a bubble for sometime.
Australia's dual world swimming champion Mitch Larkin believes he will need to set a new world record to win the 100-metre backstroke at next year's Rio Olympics.
Copenhagen will be the site of the European Short Course Championships in 2017. It will be second time in four years that the country will organize the annual tournament after hosting the 2013 edition at the Jyske Bank Boxen, one of the country's premier sporting venues, in Herning.
The 10-year-old Bahraini girl who competed at this month`s world championships in Russia could end up holding a record that will never be beaten if swimming officials push ahead with plans to close the loophole that allowed her to race.
China`s world record-holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang confirmed his shock withdrawal from Sunday`s 1500m freestyle final at the world championships was down to a heart problem.
Japan`s Daiya Seto was delighted to retain his men`s 400m individual medley gold at the world swimming championships on Sunday.
Hungary`s Katinka Hosszu completed the individual medley double on Sunday with victory in the women`s 400m final having already claimed the 200m crown.
China`s world record holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang was a shock withdrawal from the 1500m freestyle final at the world championships Sunday with Italy`s Gregorio Paltrinieri snatching the title.
- Track repair was being carried out without station master's permission - Watch report
- Watch: First official briefing after Muzaffarnagar train accident
- Can Indian trains provide safer journeys to passengers in future?
- President Ram Nath Kovind presents National Flag to Ladakh's Scout Battalion
- PM Modi meets 13 Chief Ministers of BJP governed states
- SC grants bail to Lt Col Purohit in Malegaon blast case
- Chandigarh roads flood with monsoon water, 112 mm rains in 3 hours
- Public, private sector should work together in healthcare sector, says FM Arun Jaitley
- Mira Bhayandar Municipal Corporation (MBMC) poll results 2017: As it happened
- Solar Eclipse 2017: Will Surya Grahan be visible in India?
- WATCH: Lightning quick MS Dhoni produces yet another impressive stumping, sends Lasith Malinga packing
- Survival is a distant dream for Assam man who has to go through life with 59-inch stomach
- This man’s funny pose and hilarious Twitter reactions will leave you in splits
- Beijing is back with a new anti-India video, wants to 'strengthen trust and manage disputes'
- Total solar eclipse all set to woo sky gazers tonight: All you need to know!
- AIADMK merger: As it happened
- The Kapil Sharma Show: Here's what happened when Archana Puran Singh replaced Navjot Singh Sidhu
- Toilet: Ek Prem Katha – Akshay Kumar starrer packs a solid punch at the Box Office
- Doklam standoff will not result in India-China war, says government
- Defence firms eye billion-dollar chance for 'Made in India'
- WATCH: Jinder Mahal survives nasty crash to defend WWE Championship title
- Doctor's attempt to inject hospital superintendent with HIV+ blood over personal grudge foiled
- Govt gets Rs 42,000 crore tax so far in first filing under GST