Phelps said in 2012 he was retiring but he came back for one last hurrah after feeling he wanted to bow out on his own terms.
The American, the most decorated athlete in Olympic history, added to his staggering title tally by overpowering the South African in the Rio final, clocking 1min 53.36sec.
The South African created ripples in 200m butterfly at London Olympics after snatching a fifth gold from the American superstar.
Phelps, who won the 100m fly at the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics, is now second in the world rankings behind the 50.86 of Hungarian Laszlo Cseh.
Vedika registered a time of one minute and 21.03 seconds to break the previous record of 1:21.96 which was set by Vania Kapoor of Karnataka in 2013.
Bharat Kumar had sit down with beggars near a temple to have his food.
Phelps clocked 51.38 seconds to win the 100 meter butterfly.
Campbell`s split time slashed a tenth of a second off the previous record of 51.01, set by Libby Trickett in 2009.
Phelps believes he lived in a bubble for sometime.
Australia's dual world swimming champion Mitch Larkin believes he will need to set a new world record to win the 100-metre backstroke at next year's Rio Olympics.
Copenhagen will be the site of the European Short Course Championships in 2017. It will be second time in four years that the country will organize the annual tournament after hosting the 2013 edition at the Jyske Bank Boxen, one of the country's premier sporting venues, in Herning.
The 10-year-old Bahraini girl who competed at this month`s world championships in Russia could end up holding a record that will never be beaten if swimming officials push ahead with plans to close the loophole that allowed her to race.
China`s world record-holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang confirmed his shock withdrawal from Sunday`s 1500m freestyle final at the world championships was down to a heart problem.
Japan`s Daiya Seto was delighted to retain his men`s 400m individual medley gold at the world swimming championships on Sunday.
Hungary`s Katinka Hosszu completed the individual medley double on Sunday with victory in the women`s 400m final having already claimed the 200m crown.
China`s world record holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang was a shock withdrawal from the 1500m freestyle final at the world championships Sunday with Italy`s Gregorio Paltrinieri snatching the title.
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- India signs Rafale deal with France to buy 36 fighter jets
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- BSF arrests Pakistani nationalist in Akhnooor sector
- DNA: How will Indian defense gain strength after multi-role combat aircraft Rafale?
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- BJP national council meet chaired by Amit Shah begins in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analyzing the pitiful condition of education system in India
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India? Part III
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India? Part II
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- Has Pakistan Army selected `targets` in India?
- 'Pakistan unreliable, diverting US aid money to ISI which is funding global terrorism'
- MUST WATCH: `Pakistan's motto is destruction of India`
- India attacks Pakistani camps, jihadis only in Bollywood films: JeM chief Masood Azhar
- Twitterati hails Modi's fiery speech against Pakistan
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali
- Congress blames Centre over Russia's military exercise with Pakistan
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure