Phelps said in 2012 he was retiring but he came back for one last hurrah after feeling he wanted to bow out on his own terms.
The American, the most decorated athlete in Olympic history, added to his staggering title tally by overpowering the South African in the Rio final, clocking 1min 53.36sec.
The South African created ripples in 200m butterfly at London Olympics after snatching a fifth gold from the American superstar.
Phelps, who won the 100m fly at the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics, is now second in the world rankings behind the 50.86 of Hungarian Laszlo Cseh.
Vedika registered a time of one minute and 21.03 seconds to break the previous record of 1:21.96 which was set by Vania Kapoor of Karnataka in 2013.
Bharat Kumar had sit down with beggars near a temple to have his food.
Phelps clocked 51.38 seconds to win the 100 meter butterfly.
Campbell`s split time slashed a tenth of a second off the previous record of 51.01, set by Libby Trickett in 2009.
Phelps believes he lived in a bubble for sometime.
Australia's dual world swimming champion Mitch Larkin believes he will need to set a new world record to win the 100-metre backstroke at next year's Rio Olympics.
Copenhagen will be the site of the European Short Course Championships in 2017. It will be second time in four years that the country will organize the annual tournament after hosting the 2013 edition at the Jyske Bank Boxen, one of the country's premier sporting venues, in Herning.
The 10-year-old Bahraini girl who competed at this month`s world championships in Russia could end up holding a record that will never be beaten if swimming officials push ahead with plans to close the loophole that allowed her to race.
China`s world record-holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang confirmed his shock withdrawal from Sunday`s 1500m freestyle final at the world championships was down to a heart problem.
Japan`s Daiya Seto was delighted to retain his men`s 400m individual medley gold at the world swimming championships on Sunday.
Hungary`s Katinka Hosszu completed the individual medley double on Sunday with victory in the women`s 400m final having already claimed the 200m crown.
China`s world record holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang was a shock withdrawal from the 1500m freestyle final at the world championships Sunday with Italy`s Gregorio Paltrinieri snatching the title.
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- DNA: Today in History | December 2, 2016
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Govt clarifies exemption limits for seizure of gold jewellery
- DNA: Special ground report on BSF soldiers posted at India-Pak border in Barmer
- DNA: Why is Mamata Banerjee mixing politics with Indian Army's routine exercise?
- DNA: Analysis of cashless revolution in Dhasai village of Maharashtra
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Nagrota Attacks: Saddened by killings of jawans, Gautam Gambhir bats for strong action against Pakistan
- Yuvraj Singh set to marry Gurbasant Kaur as per Hindu customs in Goa today
- PM Narendra Modi addresses BJP's Parivartan rally in UP's Moradabad: Highlights
- US defence bill pledges $900 million to Pakistan, but with conditions
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information
- Biggest-ever seizure of cash in new currency! I-T recovers Rs 5.7 crore in Rs 2,000 notes in Bengaluru, Chennai, Erode
- Reliance Jio: How to get home delivery of Jio SIM
- The Great Khali dubs impact of demonetisation minor in front of long-term benefits