Phelps said in 2012 he was retiring but he came back for one last hurrah after feeling he wanted to bow out on his own terms.
The American, the most decorated athlete in Olympic history, added to his staggering title tally by overpowering the South African in the Rio final, clocking 1min 53.36sec.
The South African created ripples in 200m butterfly at London Olympics after snatching a fifth gold from the American superstar.
Phelps, who won the 100m fly at the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics, is now second in the world rankings behind the 50.86 of Hungarian Laszlo Cseh.
Vedika registered a time of one minute and 21.03 seconds to break the previous record of 1:21.96 which was set by Vania Kapoor of Karnataka in 2013.
Bharat Kumar had sit down with beggars near a temple to have his food.
Phelps clocked 51.38 seconds to win the 100 meter butterfly.
Campbell`s split time slashed a tenth of a second off the previous record of 51.01, set by Libby Trickett in 2009.
Phelps believes he lived in a bubble for sometime.
Australia's dual world swimming champion Mitch Larkin believes he will need to set a new world record to win the 100-metre backstroke at next year's Rio Olympics.
Copenhagen will be the site of the European Short Course Championships in 2017. It will be second time in four years that the country will organize the annual tournament after hosting the 2013 edition at the Jyske Bank Boxen, one of the country's premier sporting venues, in Herning.
The 10-year-old Bahraini girl who competed at this month`s world championships in Russia could end up holding a record that will never be beaten if swimming officials push ahead with plans to close the loophole that allowed her to race.
China`s world record-holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang confirmed his shock withdrawal from Sunday`s 1500m freestyle final at the world championships was down to a heart problem.
Japan`s Daiya Seto was delighted to retain his men`s 400m individual medley gold at the world swimming championships on Sunday.
Hungary`s Katinka Hosszu completed the individual medley double on Sunday with victory in the women`s 400m final having already claimed the 200m crown.
China`s world record holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang was a shock withdrawal from the 1500m freestyle final at the world championships Sunday with Italy`s Gregorio Paltrinieri snatching the title.
- Monsoon in India: Scores killed in floods, landslides
- Watch: Ram Nath Kovind sworn in as India's 14th President
- This is going to be new house of Pranab Mukherjee
- Easy to stir mountain but not our army: China's threat to India on Doklam standoff
- Watch: How floods cause complete mayhem in several parts of the country
- JNU V-C wants tank on campus to remind students of Army’s sacrifices
- Operation All-Out: 111 terrorists killed so far in Kashmir by Indian Army
- Watch: President Pranab Mukherjee's farewell address to nation
- Delhi: Overspeeding car kills 25-year-old at ITO
- Nithari killings: Koli, Pandher get death sentence for murder of Pinki Sarkar
- PM Narendra to undertake aerial survey of flood-hit areas in Gujarat
- DNA: Analysis of 'terror funding' by Hurriyat leaders
- Pune: NDA Cadet found hanging in his room
- Watch - Ram Nath Kovind's swearing-in ceremony as President
- DNA: All you need to know about the President's Bodyguard
- Former ISRO Chief UR Rao, man behind India's 1st satellite Aryabhatta, dies
- After Sonu Nigam, singer Suchitra Krishnamoorthi tweets about Azaan and loudspeakers
- DSP Ayub Pandith lynching: Main accused killed in encounter, 20 other arrested, informs IG Kashmir
- Abu Dhabi hospital confirms Eman Ahmed's weight loss, says she's 65 kilos lighter!
- Ram Nath Kovind all set to swear-in as 14th President of India: Here's the list of guests and ceremony details
- National song Vande Mataram now mandatory in all schools, universities, offices across Tamil Nadu
- Indian workers emigrating to 6 Gulf nations declines by 34.6%, remittances fall
- Two Jordanians die in shooting at Israeli embassy in Amman: Security source
- Mumbai: Woman biker crushed to death while avoiding a pothole, probe ordered
- Kevin Pietersen's question to Team India's new head coach Ravi Shastri leaves Twitterati in splits
- Dhinchak Pooja's new song 'Baapu Dede Thoda Cash' is so bad that it's actually good! - Watch
- Sanjay Manjrekar criticises Mithali Raj and co for Women's World Cup final defeat, faces heat on Twitter
- After demitting Rashtrapati Bhavan, Pranab Mukherjee to occupy heritage bungalow in Lutyens’ Delhi
- Amid Doklam stand-off, Army Vice Chief warns 'China bound to be a future threat to India'
- Terror funding in Kashmir: Son-in-law of Syed Ali Shah Geelani, 6 other separatist leaders arrested by NIA