Phelps said in 2012 he was retiring but he came back for one last hurrah after feeling he wanted to bow out on his own terms.
The American, the most decorated athlete in Olympic history, added to his staggering title tally by overpowering the South African in the Rio final, clocking 1min 53.36sec.
The South African created ripples in 200m butterfly at London Olympics after snatching a fifth gold from the American superstar.
Phelps, who won the 100m fly at the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics, is now second in the world rankings behind the 50.86 of Hungarian Laszlo Cseh.
Vedika registered a time of one minute and 21.03 seconds to break the previous record of 1:21.96 which was set by Vania Kapoor of Karnataka in 2013.
Bharat Kumar had sit down with beggars near a temple to have his food.
Phelps clocked 51.38 seconds to win the 100 meter butterfly.
Campbell`s split time slashed a tenth of a second off the previous record of 51.01, set by Libby Trickett in 2009.
Phelps believes he lived in a bubble for sometime.
Australia's dual world swimming champion Mitch Larkin believes he will need to set a new world record to win the 100-metre backstroke at next year's Rio Olympics.
Copenhagen will be the site of the European Short Course Championships in 2017. It will be second time in four years that the country will organize the annual tournament after hosting the 2013 edition at the Jyske Bank Boxen, one of the country's premier sporting venues, in Herning.
The 10-year-old Bahraini girl who competed at this month`s world championships in Russia could end up holding a record that will never be beaten if swimming officials push ahead with plans to close the loophole that allowed her to race.
China`s world record-holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang confirmed his shock withdrawal from Sunday`s 1500m freestyle final at the world championships was down to a heart problem.
Japan`s Daiya Seto was delighted to retain his men`s 400m individual medley gold at the world swimming championships on Sunday.
Hungary`s Katinka Hosszu completed the individual medley double on Sunday with victory in the women`s 400m final having already claimed the 200m crown.
China`s world record holder and Olympic champion Sun Yang was a shock withdrawal from the 1500m freestyle final at the world championships Sunday with Italy`s Gregorio Paltrinieri snatching the title.
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- BMC serves notices to 500 senior doctors on strike, asks to resume work
- Terror attack outside British Parliament, several injured
- DNA: Today in history, 21 March 2017
- PoK residents protest against Pakistan’s move to make Gilgit-Baltistan its fifth province
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's farewell speech in Lok Sabha
- DNA: Supreme Court asks parties to solve Ayodhya dispute amicably
- Exclusive: What keeps Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute still unresolved?
- DNA: Analysing the problem of water scarcity in India
- DNA: Nonstop News
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- 'ISIS letter' in Varanasi challenges Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath to stop mayhem on March 24
- Why the name of an Andaman island a matter of shame for Indian patriots? - BJP MP has an answer
- The Kapil Sharma Show: Raju Srivastava to replace Sunil Grover?
- UK Parliament attack: Four including assailant dead, at least 20 injured
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath? Here's how Pak media reported on Gorakhpur MP's elevation as UP CM
- Baby born with rare condition labelled 'alien' by shocked mom who refused to nurse him
- Big boost for BJP, senior Congress leader SM Krishna joins party, praises PM Modi
- UP portfolios announced, CM Yogi Adityanath keeps Home; Keshav Prasad Maurya gets PWD, Dinesh Sharma Education
- The Kapil Sharma Show: Not Raju Srivastava but Krushna Abhishek to replace Sunil Grover?