New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday won the East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) polls, winning 49 seats. The Aam Aadmi Party was at second spot with nine seats in its kitty and Congress finished third.
Sixty-three seats were up for grabs.
In EDMC area, Sunder Nagri polled the highest at 63.62 percent while Shakarpur registered the lowest at 48.78 percent.
Here are the LIVE updates:
- EDMC (63): BJP - 49 seats, Congress 3, AAP 9, Others 2
- At 2 pm, EDMC (63) (Leads+Won): BJP - 47 seats, Congress 5, AAP 9, Others 2
- "Grateful to the people of Delhi for the faith in BJP. I laud the hardwork of team @BJP4Delhi which made the resounding MCD win possible," tweets PM Narendra Modi.
- We dedicate this win to CRPF jawans who lost their lives in Sukma attack: Delhi BJP chief Manoj Tiwari
- EDMC (63): BJP grabs victory in 23 seats, AAP 2
- Taking responsibility for defeat in all three wards, I offer to resign as MLA and from all party posts: AAP's Alka Lamba
- EDMC (63): BJP grabs victory in 14 seats, AAP 2
- Despite saying that Congress made a "reasonable comeback" in MCD polls, senior leader Ajay Maken resigns as Delhi Congress president.
- In the East Delhi Municipal Corporation, the BJP has won two wards -- Ram Nagar and Krishna Nagar
- Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia tweets: “After losing elections in 2009, the BJP specialised in EVM tampering after five years of research. On the basis of this research only, the BJP is winning elections today. The BJP did not only do research on EVM but also its leaders - GVL Narasimha Rao and Advani ji – wrote a book. The BJP leaders went to Supreme Court too. EVM tampering is such a bitter truth of democracy that it can be laughed upon in the beginning, but we cannot stop speaking the truth fearing the mockery.”
- 11:20 am: EDMC Election Results (63/63): BJP ahead in 42, Congress - 07, AAP - 11, Others - 03Congress' turncoat
- Arvinder Singh Lovely says that it is their duty to provide a fresh Corporation to the people of Delhi based on the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- 10:40 am: EDMC Election Results (63/63): BJP ahead in 42, Congress - 07, AAP - 11, Others - 03
- Union Minister and BJP leader Harsh Vardhan tweets: "when you abuse the PM, you're not abusing a political party but entire 125 crore people of the country. And this is how people reply, Mr AK."
- Aam Aadmi Party leader Gopal Rai, speaking to the media after the counting trends showed the BJP making a clean sweep in the civic polls, says: "This is not a Modi wave, this is an EVM wave. This is the same wave that they (BJP) used in the Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and Punjab polls."
- 8:54 am: EDMC Election Results (63/63): BJP ahead in 40, Congress - 13, AAP - 09, Others - 01
- 8:47 am: EDMC Election Results (60/63): BJP ahead in 38, Congress - 13, AAP - 09, Others - 0
- 8:40 am: EDMC Election Results (57/63): BJP ahead in 40, Congress - 13, AAP - 2, Others - 2
- 8:35 am: EDMC Election Results (53/63): BJP ahead in 40, Congress - 9, AAP - 2, Others - 2
- 8:30 am: EDMC Election Results (48/63): BJP ahead in 35, Congress - 9, AAP - 2, Others - 2
- 8:20 am: EDMC Election Results (19/63): BJP ahead in 11, Congress - 4, AAP - 2, Others - 2
- AAP opens its account with lead in one seat.
- 8:15 am: Out of 63 seats, BJP ahead in six.
- The BJP has taken lead in two seats.
- Counting begins.
- As many as 71,39,994 votes were polled on April 23. East Delhi polled 17,72,298 votes.
- The keenly-awaited results of the Delhi municipal elections on Wednesday will show if the BJP has been able to keep up its political momentum, if the Congress party has been able to revive itself in the metropolis, and if the ruling Aam Aadmi Party has been able to build up its base among the people.