President, PM condole Shammi Kapoor’s death
New Delhi: President Pratibha Devisingh Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday condoled the death of veteran Bolywood actor Shammi Kapoor. Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni also mourned his death.
"Kapoor was one of the veteran actors, who adorned Hindi cinema. He delighted Hindi cinema fans with his vivacious acting. He shall always be remembered by a generation of film watchers. In his death, the film industry has lost a creative talent," President Patil said in her condolence message.
In his message, Manmohan Singh said, "I am sad to learn of Shammi Kapoor's demise. He was an accomplished actor who entertained millions and millions of fans in India and abroad. I share his family's grief."
The 79-year-old actor was the second of three sons born to the iconic Prithviraj Kapoor. His equally versatile actor brothers were the late Raj Kapoor and Shashi Kapoor, who is ailing.
Soni said: "Shammi Kapoor gave a new dimension to the art of acting within the domain of popular cinema...He gave the masses wholesome entertainment balancing style, image and the willingness to lead life in its full glory."
Shammi joined the cinema world in 1948 as a junior artist for Rs.150 a month. His debut in Bollywood came in 1953 with the film ‘Jeevan Jyoti.’
In a career that stretched into the 1970s, the tall, athletic and green-eyed hero starred in numerous hits, including ‘An Evening in Paris,’ ‘China Town,’ ‘Kashmir Ki Kali,’ ‘Janwar’ and ‘Junglee.’
He was on dialysis for the last few days and was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai where he breathed his last at 5 a.m. Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tusshar Kapoor shares son Laksshya's throwback video and it's adorable enough to melt your heart!
- Ranbir Kapoor, Katrina Kaif's 'Jagga Jasoos' release delayed? Anurag Basu spills the beans
- Akshay Kumar shares favourite deleted scene from 'Jolly LL.B 2' - Watch
- Alia Bhatt-Varun Dhawan’s chemistry on Filmfare cover exhibits cuteness in abundance
- 'Rangoon' a competition among Shahid Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan, Kangana Ranaut: Kareena
- Farida Jalal slams death rumours, says ‘I am hale and hearty’
- Alia Bhatt celebrates grandmother’s 88th birthday, gives us some relationship goals
- Brangelina split: We're a family and we'll always be a family, says Angelina Jolie
- Shahid Kapoor shares pre-birthday bash photo with Mira Rajput – See Pic
- Rajkummar Rao's presence in Hansal Mehta's life has been 'transformative'