Teens prefer smartphones over sex: study
London: Internet-addicted students would rather give up coffee, eating and sex than their smartphones, a new UK research has found.
Nearly a fifth of the students surveyed spend more than five hours online daily, researchers found.
Almost half (44 per cent) use mobile devices to take notes in lectures, while seven in 10 use them to access university emails, they found.
Nearly a fifth of the 1,500 students surveyed by Aruba Networks spend over five hours a day online, and 65 per cent own three or more connected devices, `The Telegraph` reported.
About half of the students surveyed even said they preferred to work "outside of normal school hours," stating they worked more efficiently.
"We polled the students to find out where they want access to university services. It turns out that`s in cafes and pubs," said Jon Holgate, Head of Networks at Cambridge University.
Researchers said several universities are trialling new online services or making sure morning lectures are not missed by providing live interactive lecture theatres accessible from wherever the student is.
Many are also using social media to build closer relationships with students, sometimes developing their own social networking sites, the report said.
"No one had thought about extending the university network beyond our physical fibre and providing it as a service," Holgate said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan thanks Aamir, Shah Rukh for 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' poster release
- 'Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya blaze'
- HC seeks ways to restrain songs promoting drugs and alcohol
- I don't consider myself a star: Priyanka Chopra
- Chrissy Teigen wants to adopt children
- Jason Statham likes to 'get drunk'
- Nicole Scherzinger adjusting to singledom
- 'San Andreas' built to entertain, not traumatise: Director
- Azealia Banks to star in 'Coco'
- Look cool in denim during summer
- 'Amy' to premiere at Edinburgh Film Festival
- Look cool in denim during summer
- Blake Lively takes to fashion designing
- Kate Winslet feels makeup is 'liberating'
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- Lady Gaga gets over 30 wedding dress sketches from top designers
- Ditch black for bold and bright this summer
- Style up in suede in spring, summer
- Kylie's lip fillers changed her confidence: Kim Kardashian
- Jane Fonda proud to be a fashion icon
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi