New Delhi: Yoga is known for disease prevention, promotion of health and management of many lifestyle-related disorders.
The spinal twist posture, or Vakrasana (in Sanskrit), is beneficial to manage or cure a series of diseases and conditions.
This posture is also very useful to tone spinal nerves and abdominal muscles and organs.
Health benefits of Spinal twist pose
Some of the health benefits of spinal twist posture are:
- It helps to increase flexibility of the spine.
- It helps to overcome constipation, dyspepsia - pain or an uncomfortable feeling in the upper middle part of your stomach.
- It stimulates pancreas and helps in the management of diabetes.
- It massages the abdominal organs and reduces belly fat.
- It loosens the hip joints, relieving the stiffness.
- It relieves back pain.
- It also improves posture.
Don't know how to do this yoga pose? Here's how:
- Bend the right leg, and place the right foot beside the left knee.
- As you exhale, twist the body to the right.
- Bring the left arm around the right knee and clasp the right big toe or place the palm beside the right foot.
- Take the right arm back and keep the palm on the ground with the back straight.
- Remain in the posture for 30-40 seconds normal breathing and relax.
- Take out your hands with exhalation and relax.
- Repeat the same on the other side.
This Yoga Day, do it for a healthier, happier you!