Khurshid`s defends minority quota remarks before EC
New Delhi: Strongly defending his remarks
promising job quotas for minorities, Law Minister Salman
Khurshid on Friday told the Election Commission that he had only
made a declaration of intent and not a policy announcement.
Appearing on behalf of the Law Minister, leading
counsel Abhishek Manu Singhvi also told the Election
Commission that Khurshid had not referred to any particular
minority community and had only reiterated a pre-declared
"We have given sufficiently strong reasons in this
regard," Singhvi told reporters after a nearly hour-long
The Election Commission had issued a showcause notice
to Khurshid for having declared that his party would provide
nine per cent reservation to minorities from the existing 27
per cent reservation meant for OBCs should it return to power
He had made the remarks while campaigning for his wife
Louise Khurshid in Farrukhabad.
"The person concerned was not speaking in any manner
as a Union Minister. He was speaking as a Congressman," said
Singhvi, who is also a Congress spokesman.
He said such "declaration of inclusionary kind"
regarding minorities has been made consistently in the
Congress manifestoes in 2002 and 2007 in Uttar Pradesh
elections and in 2009 during the general elections.
Singhvi said Khurshid had not referred to any
particular minority but had used the word `minorities`.
"It was merely a reiteration and repetition of a
pre-declared Government of India policy declared before the
Model Code of Conduct came into force," Singhvi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!