Ajit Singh forms Telangana unit of RLD
Hyderabad: The movement for a separate Telangana state received a shot in the arm with Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) chief and Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh Sunday forming his party`s unit in the region.
At a meeting held here, Ajit Singh named an RLD executive committee for Telangana and declared that he would back the demand for a separate state.
He also held talks with Congress members of parliament (MP) from Telangana and leaders of Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) and called for unity among all parties and groups fighting for separate statehood.
Ajit Singh, who was accompanied by his son, Jayant Choudhary, attended a breakfast meeting at Congress MP Madhu Yaskhi`s residence.
Congress leader K Keshava Rao, MPs, JAC convener M. Kodandaram and other leaders were also present.
Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) president and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi`s presence at the meeting surprised all as his party wants Andhra Pradesh to remain united.
Owaisi, however, told reporters that he was there to meet his friend Jayant. He said there was no politics in his presence at the breakfast meet.
Ajit Singh said there was no parallel to the Telangana movement and exuded confidence that people`s aspiration for their own state would be fulfilled.
He announced an executive committee for the RLD`s Telangana unit at a meeting attended by representatives from various districts.
"This is just the beginning. We need to unite all those who are part of the movement," Ajit Singh said.
The RLD chief said the recent Telangana march held in Hyderabad was being discussed in Delhi.
He, however, said it would be difficult to predict when the union government would carve out the Telangana state.
Madhu Yaskhi and other MPs thanked Ajit Singh for supporting the cause of Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city