Ajit Singh forms Telangana unit of RLD
Hyderabad: The movement for a separate Telangana state received a shot in the arm with Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) chief and Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh Sunday forming his party`s unit in the region.
At a meeting held here, Ajit Singh named an RLD executive committee for Telangana and declared that he would back the demand for a separate state.
He also held talks with Congress members of parliament (MP) from Telangana and leaders of Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) and called for unity among all parties and groups fighting for separate statehood.
Ajit Singh, who was accompanied by his son, Jayant Choudhary, attended a breakfast meeting at Congress MP Madhu Yaskhi`s residence.
Congress leader K Keshava Rao, MPs, JAC convener M. Kodandaram and other leaders were also present.
Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) president and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi`s presence at the meeting surprised all as his party wants Andhra Pradesh to remain united.
Owaisi, however, told reporters that he was there to meet his friend Jayant. He said there was no politics in his presence at the breakfast meet.
Ajit Singh said there was no parallel to the Telangana movement and exuded confidence that people`s aspiration for their own state would be fulfilled.
He announced an executive committee for the RLD`s Telangana unit at a meeting attended by representatives from various districts.
"This is just the beginning. We need to unite all those who are part of the movement," Ajit Singh said.
The RLD chief said the recent Telangana march held in Hyderabad was being discussed in Delhi.
He, however, said it would be difficult to predict when the union government would carve out the Telangana state.
Madhu Yaskhi and other MPs thanked Ajit Singh for supporting the cause of Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?