AP pilgrims stranded in Uttarkahand safe: Reddy tells House
Hyderabad: Over 3,000 pilgrims from Andhra Pradesh stranded in Uttarakhand for the past four days were safe and efforts were on to rescue them and send back to the state, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy said.
Making an announcement in the state Assembly this afternoon, the Chief Minister said the Uttarakhand government pressed 12 helicopters into service to airlift the pilgrims stranded on roads in the Uttarkasi region.
"I have spoken to Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna over phone while our Chief Secretary P K Mohanty is in constant touch with his counterpart there. As rain stopped only this morning, the state government there pressed 12 helicopters into service for the rescue operation," Reddy informed the Assembly.
Rescue operations were hampered because of incessant rains in the last three days while a 70-km stretch of road totally collapsed, he added.
"But we have information that all pilgrims from our state are safe in Uttarakhand and efforts were on to bring them back soon.
"Control rooms have been opened in Hyderabad, New Delhi (AP Bhavan) and Dehradun for information about the stranded pilgrims," the chief minister said.
Food and medical assistance is also being provided to them, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- After marriage, porn-watching ups in women, drops in men
- Summer woes? Here are top 20 gateways to escape the heat!
- It's official! Besides Punjab, AAP to contest elections in Goa as well, confirms Arvind Kejriwal
- NEET ordinance: Union Health Minister JP Nadda to meet President on Monday
- Will meet Trump despite his dangerous views on Muslims: Cameron