B Prasada Rao named interim DGP of Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government on Monday appointed B Prasada Rao, an IPS officer of 1979 batch, as the Director General of Police (DGP) on an ad hoc basis following retirement of incumbent V Dinesh Reddy.
Chief Secretary PK Mohanty issued a Government Order (GO) this afternoon placing Prasada Rao in "full additional charge" of the DGP`s post "until further orders".
Though it was expected that Prasada Rao would be appointed as the regular DGP (Head of Police Force) in place of Dinesh Reddy, the government chose to make an interim arrangement to follow the "prescribed procedure" of referring a panel of names to Union Public Service Commission for making the final choice, official sources said.
"This is to avoid any legal tangle, as it happened in previous cases," sources maintained.
The State Government will now forward names of eligible DGP-rank IPS officers to the UPSC from which one will be eventually appointed as the HoPF, according to sources.
"It`s now a mere formality before Prasada Rao would be appointed as the regular DGP in next few days," they added.
Prasada Rao, a non-controversial officer, is currently the Director General of state Anti-Corruption Bureau.
He previously served as the Vice-Chairman and Managing Director of AP State Road Transport Corporation and Commissioner of Police of Hyderabad and Visakhapatnam.
He is currently pursuing research in Physics.
Though fourth in the order of seniority among his batchmates, Prasada Rao has reportedly been chosen by the Chief Minister as the former is a dalit.
"It`s after a gap of many years that we will have a dalit as top cop in the state," government sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside