Chaos in Congress conclave over Telangana
Hyderabad: Chaos prevailed at the day-long state conclave of the ruling Congress party here Sunday with a section of leaders from Telangana insisting the meet pay respects to those who died for a separate Telangana state.
During the conference at LB Stadium here, Parliament members, leaders and workers from Telangana raised slogans in support of a separate statehood to the region.
The conference was disrupted for a while in the afternoon after a verbal duel between state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana and MP Ponnam Prabhakar. Other MPs from Telangana supported Prabhakar and raised slogans of "Jai Telangana".
There were also counter slogans from leaders of Andhra and Raylaseema regions, opposing the state`s bifurcation.
To prevent the situation from taking an ugly turn, Congress general secretary in charge of party affairs in the state Ghulam Nabi Azad intervened to ensure that the participants observe two-minute silence as a mark of respect to Telangana martyrs.
Satyanarayana had earlier rejected Prabhakar`s demand and said that people died in the agitations (against state`s bifurcation) in other regions too. He said that the meeting was being held to pay respects to those killed in recent cyclones.
In an emotional speech, Prabhakar said not observing silence was an insult to Telangana "martyrs". He also wondered why the government was providing security to YSR Congress party leader Sharmila`s walkathon in Telangana. Satyanarayana, in his inaugural address, hoped that the Congress leadership would find an amicable solution to the Telangana issue.
The meeting was attended by leaders from the grassroot level to central ministers. It is seen as an attempt by the Congress to come out with an action plan to win back people`s confidence ahead of the 2014 general elections.
However, Union ministers S Jaipal Reddy and Kishore Chandra Deo, who have differences with Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy, stayed away from the meeting. MPs Kavuri Sambasiva Rao, Rayapati Sambasiva Rao, Harsha Kumar, central leader Renuka Chowdhary and a section of state legislators also did not attend the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price