- Around 50 dalit students of Central University of Gujarat (CUG) hold a peaceful protest in Gandhinagar over the alleged suicide by a research scholar in Hyderabad.
- My doors are always open for you, Rahul Gandhi tells students at Hyderabad university campus.
The VC and Union Ministers in Delhi have not acted fairly. This youngster was put in so much pain that he had no option but to kill himself
— Office of RG (@OfficeOfRG) January 19, 2016
- I agree with the students here. Rohith committed suicide but the conditions for his suicide were created by the VC and the minister (Bandaru Dattatreya), says Rahul Gandhi.
- There should be no discrimination on the basis of caste. Rohith came to university with a certain hope: Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi addresses students, says Rohit Vemula's family should be paid compensation. He further seeks Vice Chancellor P Appa Rao's removal.
- Research scholar Rohit Vemula, who allegedly committed suicide in a room on the campus of the University of Hyderabad, had in a letter purportedly written
by him said he was not getting his fellowship for past seven months. "If you, who is reading this letter can do anything for me, I have to get 7 months of my fellowship, one lakh and seventy five thousand rupees. Please see to it that my family is paid that. I have to give some 40 thousand to Ramji. He never asked them back. But please pay that to him from that (sic)," Rohit purportedly wrote in the letter.
- The activists of Punjab Ambedkar Sena Moolnivasi take out a protest march and burnt effigy of Union Minister Smriti Irani and demanded sacking of Union MoS for Labour Bandaru Dattatreya over the suicide on Sunday by a Dalit scholar in a university of Hyderabad.
- RPI leader Ramdas Athawale will visit Rohith Vemula's family in Hyderabad tomorrow.
- On the university campus, scores of students intensify their protests, demanding that Union Minister Bandaru Dattatreya, BJP MLC Ramchander Rao, university's Vice Chancellor P Appa Rao and two ABVP leaders, against whom cases were registered for abetting suicide of Rohit, be jailed.
- Several students in campuses outside the state come out of classes in solidarity with their Hyderabad Central University counterparts.
- Rahul Gandhi interacts with students over the issue.
- Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi arrives at Hyderabad university's campus.
- A video of altercation between Rohith Vemula and ABVP activists tearing down, ABVP flag has surfaced.
Must see: Will tear off everything which is saffron in colour: Rohith Vemula had told ABVP activists
- Have appointed Secretary Anita Agnihotri to investigate Dalit scholar's suicide case: Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot
- Attacking the government over the alleged suicide of a Dalit scholar in Hyderabad, Congress leader Digvijay Singh today charged that vice chancellors have
been handpicked by the BJP and RSS, and asked student wings to come together to fight the "communal forces".
Also Read: Hyderabad student suicide: Digvijay asks student wings to unite
- A two-member Trinamool Congress delegation led by party MP and national spokesperson Derek O'Brien is going to Hyderabad this evening to express solidarity with the students protesting against the alleged suicide.
- Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi slams Rahul Gandhi, says the Congress leader is visiting Hyderabad to just rub salt in the wound.
- Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati sends two-member team to Hyderabad to probe into the matter.
- The Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) student leader, who emerged as a key character in the entire episode, has expressed shock over the death of Rohith.
Also Read: Shocked at Rohith Vemula's suicide; it was just student politics: ABVP leader Susheel Kumar
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar tweeted:
Deeply saddened at the tragic death of Dalit student Rohit Vemula in Hyd. Govt must ensure fair probe & action against those responsible.
— Nitish Kumar (@NitishKumar) January 19, 2016
- In Pune, the students of FTII sat on a day-long hunger strike outside the institute's gate, expressing "solidarity" with students protesting over the alleged suicide.
- Commenting on Rahul Gandhi's visit to Hyderabad, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot tells ANI that politics should not be played in such cases. The ministry is gathering information regarding this case, justice will be don, assures Gehlot.
- Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot seeks report from Telangana on Dalit student`s suicide.
- Also Read: Arvind Kejriwal attacks PM Narendra Modi over Dalit student Rohith Vemula's death
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal trained his guns on Prime Minister Narendra Modi:
Modi govt constitutionally duty bound to uplift dalits. Instead Modi ji's ministers got five dalit students ostracised n suspended(1/2)
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) January 19, 2016
It's not suicide. It's murder. It's murder of democracy, social justice n equality.Modi ji shd sack ministers n aplogoize to the nation(2/2)
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) January 19, 2016
- Telangana Jagruti Yuva Morcha protests outside Union Minister Bandaru Dattatreya's residence in Hyderabad. Union Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya and Hyderabad University Vice Chancellor were yesterday named in an FIR regarding the case.
- Rohith Vemula, 28, was found hanging in his friend's room in the hostel on Sunday. The second year research scholar of science, technology and society studies department was one of the five students expelled from the hostel and barred from all facilities except their classrooms following a clash with leaders of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP).
- Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi heads to Hyderabad to meet the to meet the students after Rohith Vemula allegedly committed suicide sparking massive protests. Rahul is leaving for Hyderabad along with party general secretary Digvijay Singh and will meet the students of the university, party sources said.
Also Read: Dalit student's suicide case: Rahul Gandhi to visit University of Hyderabad today
- All India Majlis-e-Ittehad-ul Muslimeen (AIMIM) president Asaduddin Owaisi on Tuesday condemned the "cold-hearted attitude" of the concerned minister and the government over the suicide of a Dalit research scholar of Hyderabad Central University (HCU). "I condemn this attitude and hope strong action will taken against Vice Chancellor," added Owaisi.