Ex-TDP leader on fast over Rayalaseema cause
Hyderabad: Former TDP MLA Byreddy Rajasekhara Reddy, who has been championing the cause of Rayalaseema in Andhra Pradesh, on Thursday began his 52-hour fast alleging that the region is being taken for granted in resolving the Telangana issue.
Taking exception to proposals like `Rayala-Telangana` (formation of a separate Telangana state by making two Rayalaseema districts a part of it), he said that such options destroy the very existence of Rayalaseema.
The people of Rayalaseema felt hurt over such ideas, he said.
Though top leaders in all major parties, including chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu and YSR Congress president Jaganmohan Redd, belonged to Rayalaseema region, they kept quiet on the interests of the region, Reddy alleged.
The region includes the southern districts of Anantapur, Chittoor, Kadapa and Kurnool.
Even though it produced big leaders, Rayalaseema continues to be one of the most backward regions, Reddy said.
Rajasekhara Reddy`s outfit `Rayalaseema Parirakshana Samiti` is demanding separate statehood for the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites