Ex-TDP leader on fast over Rayalaseema cause
Hyderabad: Former TDP MLA Byreddy Rajasekhara Reddy, who has been championing the cause of Rayalaseema in Andhra Pradesh, on Thursday began his 52-hour fast alleging that the region is being taken for granted in resolving the Telangana issue.
Taking exception to proposals like `Rayala-Telangana` (formation of a separate Telangana state by making two Rayalaseema districts a part of it), he said that such options destroy the very existence of Rayalaseema.
The people of Rayalaseema felt hurt over such ideas, he said.
Though top leaders in all major parties, including chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu and YSR Congress president Jaganmohan Redd, belonged to Rayalaseema region, they kept quiet on the interests of the region, Reddy alleged.
The region includes the southern districts of Anantapur, Chittoor, Kadapa and Kurnool.
Even though it produced big leaders, Rayalaseema continues to be one of the most backward regions, Reddy said.
Rajasekhara Reddy`s outfit `Rayalaseema Parirakshana Samiti` is demanding separate statehood for the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users