Ex-TDP leader on fast over Rayalaseema cause
Hyderabad: Former TDP MLA Byreddy Rajasekhara Reddy, who has been championing the cause of Rayalaseema in Andhra Pradesh, on Thursday began his 52-hour fast alleging that the region is being taken for granted in resolving the Telangana issue.
Taking exception to proposals like `Rayala-Telangana` (formation of a separate Telangana state by making two Rayalaseema districts a part of it), he said that such options destroy the very existence of Rayalaseema.
The people of Rayalaseema felt hurt over such ideas, he said.
Though top leaders in all major parties, including chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu and YSR Congress president Jaganmohan Redd, belonged to Rayalaseema region, they kept quiet on the interests of the region, Reddy alleged.
The region includes the southern districts of Anantapur, Chittoor, Kadapa and Kurnool.
Even though it produced big leaders, Rayalaseema continues to be one of the most backward regions, Reddy said.
Rajasekhara Reddy`s outfit `Rayalaseema Parirakshana Samiti` is demanding separate statehood for the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- First look of Emraan Hashmi's maiden home production 'Captain Nawab' out! - Pic inside
- Despite public outcry over images of man carrying dead wife, Odisha gives clean chit to hospital