Ex-TDP leader on fast over Rayalaseema cause
Hyderabad: Former TDP MLA Byreddy Rajasekhara Reddy, who has been championing the cause of Rayalaseema in Andhra Pradesh, on Thursday began his 52-hour fast alleging that the region is being taken for granted in resolving the Telangana issue.
Taking exception to proposals like `Rayala-Telangana` (formation of a separate Telangana state by making two Rayalaseema districts a part of it), he said that such options destroy the very existence of Rayalaseema.
The people of Rayalaseema felt hurt over such ideas, he said.
Though top leaders in all major parties, including chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu and YSR Congress president Jaganmohan Redd, belonged to Rayalaseema region, they kept quiet on the interests of the region, Reddy alleged.
The region includes the southern districts of Anantapur, Chittoor, Kadapa and Kurnool.
Even though it produced big leaders, Rayalaseema continues to be one of the most backward regions, Reddy said.
Rajasekhara Reddy`s outfit `Rayalaseema Parirakshana Samiti` is demanding separate statehood for the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured