Five Cong MPs from Telangana quit party
New Delhi: Five of the six Congress MPs from Telangana on Wednesday resigned from the party to press for the creation of a separate state out of Andhra Pradesh.
The five lawmakers sent a joint resignation letter to party chief Sonia Gandhi through a "courier", S Rajaih and Ponnam Prabhakar, two of the MPs, told PTI here late this evening.
Those who sent in their resignations are: Manda Jagannatam, Ponnam Prabhakar, S Rajaiah, Vivek Reddy and Surinder Reddy.
Rajaiah said there was no question of a compromise on Telangana statehood issue and "a compromise can happen only if a positive roadmap is given for the creation of a separate state".
He said the decision to resign was taken after two days of deliberations among the MPs at Warangal.
The resignation by the five Congress MPs came on a day when the party indicated that it was not against the creation of Telangana.
Congress spokesman P C Chacko said earlier in the day that "we are in the process of taking a decision but then formalities have to be completed," he said.
Chacko`s initial response was that the party`s position on Telangana is well known and that "it`s only a question of time" when the decision will be announced.
Asked specifically whether he meant to say Telangana will be announced and it is just a matter of time now, the Congress spokesperson responded by saying "you are right. We have taken a position. Our party position is very clear. But whatever decision has to be taken has to fulfil some Constitutional obligations."
Nizamabad Congress MP Madhu Goud Yaskhi, one of the parliamentarians at the forefront of the agitation for a separate state, told reporters that he did not see any need for resignation after Chacko`s statement.
“I don’t think there is any need for resignation now. Chacko’s statement is clear,” Yaskhi said.
However, Rajaiah and Ponnam Prabhakar said they were firm on submitting their resignations to Sonia Gandhi.
“It might be his (Madhu’s) personal opinion. We want to send our resignation letters,” Rajaiah said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed