Govt interested in taking "quick decision" on Telangana issue: Shinde
New Delhi: The government is interested in taking a "quick decision" on demand for a separate Telangana and the issue is not yet closed, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said on Monday.
"It is not a closed chapter. We are discussing it. The issue is open. The issue is open because we have to do this way or that way," he said at a press conference here.
He was replying to a question on whether the issue was a closed chapter for the government as there was no visible forward movement on it.
"We are also interested to take a quick decision," Shinde said.
The Home Minister, however, refused the give any deadline on when the issue would be resolved.
"There is no limit on it," he said.
A decision on the Telangana statehood demand was deferred on January 27 with the Centre and Congress saying there was need for "further consultations" which will take a "little more time" even as pro-Telangana activists intensified their agitation.
On the eve of the one-month deadline set by him to arrive at a decision on the contentious issue, Shinde and Congress spoke on similar lines seeking more time to resolve the matter.
While Shinde said it may take some more time to reach a final decision, Congress General Secretary in-charge of Andhra Pradesh Ghulam Nabi Azad made it clear that "further consultations" with leaders from Andhra Pradesh were required.
Shinde had on December 28, last year said the Centre would announce a decision on the contentious issue in a month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal