Not convinced about bifurcation of AP, says CM
New Delhi: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Saturday said he was not convinced about the bifurcation of the state and claimed that he has not changed his position on it.
"I have not changed my stance. I am not convinced," he told reporters at a press conference in Andhra bhawan here. Reddy has been against the bifurcation of the state.
The Chief Minister, however, said he was not against the sentiments of Telangana people but said there were several issues like employment, Hyderabad and flood-prone districts which are yet to be resolved.
Echoing a similar view, Union HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju expressed concern over the pace at which the bifurcation process was being carried out.
"I am not comfortable with the pace at which it is going. There has to be a proper way if the bifurcation is happening," he said.
The HRD Minister said 5.25 crore Telugu people living in coastal Andhra and Telangana regions cannot digest the speed at which the bifurcation process is going on.
When asked if any package has been sought for Andhra Pradesh, Raju said a representation has been given to the Group of Ministers in this regard.
Earlier, the Chief Minister accompanied by Union Ministers Pallam Raju, Chiranjeevi and Panabaka Lakshmi along with state ministers met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and sought a relief package for the districts of Andhra Pradesh which were worst-hit by cyclone Phailin and the subsequent heavy rains.
Raju thanked the Prime Minister for granting Rs 1,000 crore emergency relief for the state.
Union Minister for Tourism Chiranjeevi, Union Minister of State for Petroleum Panabaka Lakshmi and a few ministers from Andhra Pradesh were also present at the press conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui