`External elements` behind Assam violence: Govt
New Delhi: The Centre on Monday said "external elements" were behind the ethnic clashes between Bodos and minorities in Assam and vowed to hunt down those responsible for it.
Assam government is also likely to hand over the probe into the recent violence to CBI.
"The situation is under control as of now. There could be some external elements behind the violence," Union Home Secretary R K Singh told reporters here but did not specify who were these "external elements".
Last fortnight, when asked about reports that some people involved in the clashes might have links with neighbouring Bangladesh, Singh had ruled out the possibility of involvement of anyone from across the border saying it was simply impossible for any organised group crossing over to India from across the border as the international border was sealed.
"The state government and the Centre are determined that we will have this investigated and get to the people who are behind this," he said today. (more) PTI ACB PAL
Singh said that in the last two days five bodies were
recovered following fresh violence between the two communities in the Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts (BTAD).
"I want to make it clear to everyone that we will go after those who are responsible for the violence," he said.
Meanwhile, Assam government is likely to hand over the probe into the recent violence to CBI, sources said.
Indefinite curfew was reimposed in Chirang district where three bodies were recovered yesterday, while night curfew was continuing in Kokrajhar, where two bodies were recovered, besides Baska and Dhubri districts.
So far, 61 people lost their lives and 5.02 lakh people became homeless in the clashes between the Bodos and immigrants settlers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened