Police reacted late: NCW on Guwahati molestation case
Guwahati: The special probe panel constituted by the National Commission for Women (NCW) to look into the molestation of a teenage girl by a mob in Guwahati on Monday slammed police for reacting late and and being negligent to the shocking incident.
According to reports, the panel came down heavily on police for its role in the incident and urged the state government to deploy more women police constables to ensure safety of women in the capital.
In its report, which was submitted to the NCW chairperson today, the panel was quoted as saying, “Police action was delayed. The police was negligent. The police came half an hour after the first call was made,” adding, “There was lack of coordination between the state administration and the local police."
The NCW also cast its aspersion in the apparent delay in arresting the main culprit and others involving in the incident, suggesting that attempts were being made to shield the main accused.
The NCW committee had met the victim on Saturday.
The NCW report also called for a probe into the role of the journalist who shot the incident, saying it seemed suspicious.
The report has also asked the state government to explain how such an incident took place on a busy street in the capital city.
The report also criticised the state government for not making efforts to rehabilitate the girl a week after the incident.
The Commission had already demanded exemplary punishment within six months, for all accused.
Expressing deep concern over the "shameful" act of molestation of a teenager in Guwahati openly, NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma had earlier said that action would be taken against the culprits within 10 days of the submission of the report.
Assam government also formed a Special Task Force to enquire into the issue.
Meanwhile, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi`s deadline to the police, to identify and arrest all those accused of publicly molesting a 17-year-old girl in the heart of the city nearly a week ago, ends today and only seven suspects have been arrested so far.
The state police have launched a massive search, which has spread to other states including Odisha, to nab other accused who have been absconding since the incident took place last Monday.
The incident led to a public outcry after a video of the assault, recorded by a TV channel, was uploaded on YouTube.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'