Bihar fire incidents: 11 dead, 100 acre of forest area gutted
Patna: Altogether 11 people were charred to death and 100 acres of forest area were gutted in incidents of fire in various district of Bihar including Patna, West Champaran and Munger on Friday, officials said.
Five members of a family were charred to death at Dumahla locality in Gardanibagh area here as a fire broke out in their hut this morning due to short circuit while they were sleeping.
The victims were identified as Shambhu Prasad (50), his wife Mita Devi (45), son Vikas Kumar (8), daughter Nishu Kumari (5) and mother in-law Shakuntla Devi (70), sources said.
In another incident, a major fire broke out in the New Market under Kotwali police station area in the state capital gutting 100 shops.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar visited the spot and directed local officials to launch rescue measures.
Fire claimed four lives of another family at Misrauli village in West Champaran district as the blaze broke out in their house and spread to the locality reducing to ashes about 200 houses, the sources said.
In Samastipur district, two persons died after they were trapped in a blaze in Chakwa village under Sarairanjan block in which 30 thatched houses were gutted.
Disaster Management Minister Renu Kumari Kushwaha said the kin of each of those killed would be given a compensation of Rs two lakh.
In West Champaran, an wildfire gutted around 100 acres of forest area in Madanpur, Valmiki Nagar and Harnatand in the Valmiki Nagar Tiger Reserve, VTR-I divisional forest officer Nandkishore said.
Trains passing through VTR were stranded at different places as efforts were on to douse the flames, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'