Cold weather claims 26 lives in Bihar
Patna: The intense cold wave has claimed at least 26 lives in Bihar since early Saturday. The bone-chilling north-westerly winds continued blowing across the state, sending temperatures tumbling further down early Monday, officials here said.
"The inclement weather claimed 11 lives on Sunday and six people were reported dead early Monday. As many as nine people lost their lives due to the cold weather conditions on Saturday," said an official of the state disaster management department here.
The official said the cold wave claimed six people each in Darbhanga and Kaimur district, seven in Nalanda, four in Saran, two in Shekhpura and one in Vaishali district.
"The icy north-westerly winds will continue to blow over the state for another 24 hours," said AK Sen, a Met department official here.
The official said that Monday`s lowest temperature in Bihar was recorded in Darbhanga district at 2.6 degrees Celsius, while the state capital Patna recorded a low of four degrees Celsius.
In view of the prevailing cold wave, classes from one to four in all public and private schools in Patna were suspended till January 09, while other classes have been re-scheduled, Patna District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar Singh said.
Last month, the cold wave had claimed nearly two dozen lives in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days