BJP leader shot dead by ultras in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A ruling BJP leader was on Monday shot dead by Naxalites in Katekalyan region of the Maoist-hit Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh, police said.
"The vice-president of district unit of BJP Shivdayal Tomar (50) was shot dead by ultras in Kawad village under Katekalyan police station area when he had gone to inspect an under-construction bridge there," Dantewada Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Rajesh Kukreja told PTI over phone.
A native of Dantewada town, Tomar owned a construction company and took contracts of roads and bridge construction in the region.
Today afternoon, he went to Kawad village along with his manager to visit an under-construction bridge being built by his company. He frequently visited there to take stock of the work.
When he was at the site with the workers, two armed Naxals reached there and opened fire on him, he said, adding that soon after the incident the rebels fled from the spot.
Injured Tomar was rushed to a local hospital where he was declared brought dead, the ASP said.
The exact reason behind the killing was yet to be ascertained, he said adding security forces have been sent to the spot to launch an operation to apprehend the attackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145