BJP leader shot dead by ultras in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A ruling BJP leader was on Monday shot dead by Naxalites in Katekalyan region of the Maoist-hit Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh, police said.
"The vice-president of district unit of BJP Shivdayal Tomar (50) was shot dead by ultras in Kawad village under Katekalyan police station area when he had gone to inspect an under-construction bridge there," Dantewada Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Rajesh Kukreja told PTI over phone.
A native of Dantewada town, Tomar owned a construction company and took contracts of roads and bridge construction in the region.
Today afternoon, he went to Kawad village along with his manager to visit an under-construction bridge being built by his company. He frequently visited there to take stock of the work.
When he was at the site with the workers, two armed Naxals reached there and opened fire on him, he said, adding that soon after the incident the rebels fled from the spot.
Injured Tomar was rushed to a local hospital where he was declared brought dead, the ASP said.
The exact reason behind the killing was yet to be ascertained, he said adding security forces have been sent to the spot to launch an operation to apprehend the attackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets