Chattisgarh: Maoists recruit minors in their rank
Raipur: To bolster their depleting ranks, the Maoist leadership in Chattisgarh have now set their eyes on minor boys and girls as young as 13 years, making the task of security forces combating insurgency tougher.
"Maoist insurgents have stepped up their recruitment drive in Abujhmar region forcing minor boys and girls, mostly in their early teens, to join the rebel ranks," Bastar Superintendent of Police RL Meena told a news agency on Wednesday.
"They use minors as shield and engage them mostly in gathering information," he said.
According to sources, posters and banners asking youth to join the Maoist ranks have also been spotted at various places in Kanker and Narayanpur districts.
Abujhmar, a densely forested area spread over 4,000 sq km, is considered to be the stronghold of Maoist guerrillas.
According to Kanker Superintendent of Police Rahul Bhagat, the rebels are conducting recruitment drives through posters.
Villagers who themselves are not willing to join the Maoist ranks are being forced to give away younger members of their family to serve in the organisation.
"The rebels are adopting new strategies to step up their enrolment," said Bhagat.
The posters put up at Koylabeda say that the first phase of the recruitment is expected to commence from October 25 and last till November 15.
In the posters, the rebels have also demanded shutdown of Rawghat and Chargaon iron ore mining projects strongly opposing displacement of the villagers in these areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state