Chhattisgarh Maoist attack: `Shocked’ Sonia holds meeting with PM
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Saturday condemned as "despicable" the attack on her party colleagues in Chhattisgarh`s Jagdalpur district and held a meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over the "shocking" incident.
Gandhi, who was accompanied by party vice president Rahul Gandhi, told reporters here after the meeting with Singh, that they are "shocked, astounded and pained by the attack on our colleagues”.
She condemned the Maoist attack on the Congress Parivartan Yatra that led to the death of party leader Mahendra Karma.
The UPA chairperson said the attack on ordinary party workers is "despicable".
"Naturally we are devastated... It is despicable that ordinary people engaged in political activity were attacked," she said.
The Congress president hoped that the Pradesh Congress Committee Chief Nand Kumar Patel and his son, who are missing since the attack, have not been kidnapped by the Maoists.
Gandhi also expressed concern over the condition of senior Congress leader VC Shukla, who was injured in the attack.
"Shuklaji has been hit by a bullet in the stomach area," she said.
Gandhi said the Prime Minister, who has also condemned the incident, has spoken to the Chhattisgarh Chief Minister two hours back who had said he will get back but had still not called. PMO sources said the Prime Minister called up Raman Singh soon after the Maoist attack. He asked the Chief Minister if more central forces are required urgently by the Chhattisgarh government, the sources said.
Gandhi said all authorities concerned have been asked to render all support.
Gandhi`s political secretary Ahmed Patel was also present in the meeting with the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown