Congress stages walk-out over irrigation issue in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Main opposition Congress today walked out of the Chhattisgarh Assembly alleging injustice to the farmers in Bhatapara region of Balodabazar-Bhatapara district.
During the question hour, Congress MLA Chaitram Sahu asked about the area under irrigation in Bhatapara constituency.
He also asked if there was any proposal to establish a divisional office of Water Resources Department in Bhatapara development block.
Water Resources Minister Ramvichar Netam said irrigation facilities (infrastructure) was available for 11,707 hectares in Bhatapara, of which 8,364 hectares of land was under actual irrigation.
There was no plan to set up divisional office in Bhatapara, he added.
Sahu said that divisional office had been shifted to Tilda, which was far away from Bhatapara. Farmers were facing a difficulty registering irrigation-related complaints, so an office be set up at Bhatapara. But Netam said there was no such provision.
Leader of Opposition Ravindra Choubey alleged that a huge quantity of water was being given to an industry in the region, while fields were water-starved.
He demanded that the state government should heed Sahu`s demand and set up a branch office of Water Resources Department in the region.
Dissatisfied with the government`s stand, the Congerss members walked out of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days