Congress stages walk-out over irrigation issue in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Main opposition Congress today walked out of the Chhattisgarh Assembly alleging injustice to the farmers in Bhatapara region of Balodabazar-Bhatapara district.
During the question hour, Congress MLA Chaitram Sahu asked about the area under irrigation in Bhatapara constituency.
He also asked if there was any proposal to establish a divisional office of Water Resources Department in Bhatapara development block.
Water Resources Minister Ramvichar Netam said irrigation facilities (infrastructure) was available for 11,707 hectares in Bhatapara, of which 8,364 hectares of land was under actual irrigation.
There was no plan to set up divisional office in Bhatapara, he added.
Sahu said that divisional office had been shifted to Tilda, which was far away from Bhatapara. Farmers were facing a difficulty registering irrigation-related complaints, so an office be set up at Bhatapara. But Netam said there was no such provision.
Leader of Opposition Ravindra Choubey alleged that a huge quantity of water was being given to an industry in the region, while fields were water-starved.
He demanded that the state government should heed Sahu`s demand and set up a branch office of Water Resources Department in the region.
Dissatisfied with the government`s stand, the Congerss members walked out of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi