Gaurishankar Agrawal elected Speaker of Chhattisgarh Assembly
Raipur: BJP leader Gaurishankar Agrawal was elected as Speaker of the new Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly, the first session of which began on Monday.
Agrawal, a two-time MLA, was the only candidate to file nomination for the post and was unanimously elected.
Chief Minister Raman Singh, Leader of Opposition T S Singhdeo and other legislators were administered oath by pro-tem Speaker Satyanarayan Sharma during the beginning of the opening day.
Later, the Speaker was elected.
In his first address to the House, Speaker Agarwal said with the help of each member of the Assembly, he would try to fulfil the expectations of 2.5 crore people of the state.
Immediately after his election to the post, Raman Singh and Singhdeo congratulated him. Singh also congratulated elected members of the House.
The Raman Singh-led BJP registered a victory for the third straight time by winning 49 of the 90 seats in the recently-concluded Chhattisgarh Assembly election.
The Congress on the other hand managed to win 39 seats. Rest of the two seats went to BSP and an independent each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi