Gaurishankar Agrawal elected Speaker of Chhattisgarh Assembly
Raipur: BJP leader Gaurishankar Agrawal was elected as Speaker of the new Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly, the first session of which began on Monday.
Agrawal, a two-time MLA, was the only candidate to file nomination for the post and was unanimously elected.
Chief Minister Raman Singh, Leader of Opposition T S Singhdeo and other legislators were administered oath by pro-tem Speaker Satyanarayan Sharma during the beginning of the opening day.
Later, the Speaker was elected.
In his first address to the House, Speaker Agarwal said with the help of each member of the Assembly, he would try to fulfil the expectations of 2.5 crore people of the state.
Immediately after his election to the post, Raman Singh and Singhdeo congratulated him. Singh also congratulated elected members of the House.
The Raman Singh-led BJP registered a victory for the third straight time by winning 49 of the 90 seats in the recently-concluded Chhattisgarh Assembly election.
The Congress on the other hand managed to win 39 seats. Rest of the two seats went to BSP and an independent each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- MSBSHSE HSC Results 2016: Mahresult.nic.in & hscresult.mkcl.org Maharashtra Board Class 12th XII HSC Exam Results 2016 to be declared shortly
- Premier League: Leicester City will still be the underdogs, says manager Claudio Ranieri
- 'Avengers' stars surprise sick fan—See inside!
- All religions are used by men to control women: Mona Eltahawy
- Whoa! You will be shocked to know how much Priyanka Chopra is expected to earn in 40 days