Maoist killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A Maoist was gunned down in a fierce encounter with security forces in Naxal-affected Narayanpur district of Chhattisgarh on Sunday, police said.
The face off took place in the forests under Dhaudai police station limits of restive Abhujmad region, Narayanpur Additional Superintendent of Police OP Sharma told PTI.
The joint squad of CoBRA (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action), a specialised unit of CRPF, Special Task Force and district police was on an anti-Naxal operation in Abhujmad region, about 400 kms from the state capital Raipur, this morning.
On spotting the security personnel in the forests of Dhaudai, armed Maoists launched an attack on them.
As the security personnel retaliated, a fierce exchange of fire took place, following which ultras fled to the core forest, the ASP said.
Later, the body of a Maoist in uniform was found inside the forest during a search following the encounter, he said, adding that some weapons were also recovered from there.
Further details were awaited as the security forces were yet to come out of the forest, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet