Maoists shoot and injure cop in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Maoist insurgents shot and injured a police constable at a bus stand in Sukma town in Chhattisgarh, police officials said Wednesday.
"Pritam Singh Rajput was seriously injured when Maoist insurgents fleeing from Sukma bus stand to escape arrest fired at him. He received three gunshot wounds in the abdomen and leg," said Sukma Collector Abhishek Sandilya.
The incident occurred at 7 pm. Tuesday evening when a police team rushed to the bus stand after receiving information that three Maoist insurgents were waiting there to board a bus.
On seeing the police team, the insurgents fled in different directions and police personnel chased them.
Two ultras fled the police dragnet but the third one was caught by Rajput.
During the scuffle between the two, the Maoist reportedly whipped out a pistol from his waist pocket and shot at the cop thrice. Rajput fell down, giving a chance to the ultra to escape from the spot.
The injured cop was rushed to Jagdalpur Medical College Hospital late Tuesday night as his condition turned serious.
Sukma, the southern tip of Chhattisgarh bordering Odisha and located over 400 km from state capital Raipur, is a hot bed of Maoist insurgency. In April this year, Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon was abducted by Maoist insurgents from a public meeting and was released after 13 days of captivity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?