Naxal attack: Convoy route was pre-decided, says Ajit Jogi
Raipur: Congress leaders on Monday denied reports that the route of the ill-fated `Parivartan Yatra`, which came under Naxal attack on Saturday in south Bastar region, had been changed at the last moment.
The convoy of Congress leaders was attacked at Jiram Valley in Darbha region when it was returning from Sukma to Jagdalpur. Twenty-seven people including Chhattisgarh Congress chief Nand Kumar Patel and veteran leader Mahendra Karma were killed and 37 others including former union minster VC Shukla were injured.
Reacting to reports in local media about last-moment route change, former Chief Minister and Congress veteran Ajit Jogi said, "Rally`s route was not changed. MLA TS Singhdeo was in-charge of the route schedule and he had submitted the same route chart thrice for security approval.
"Convoy was proceeding according to its pre-decided schedule. This was a sheer security lapse," Jogi said.
Dantewada MLA Kwawasi Lakhma, who was with Patel during the attack, too said there was no change of route. "According to the plan we were moving to Keshlur in Darbha region via Tongpal. I was with Nand Kumar Patel and his son Dinesh in the SUV. We were talking about the security arrangements. I told him that I had written to police for providing security on the Darbha route but there was no security," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Barack Obama banishes Vietnam war era with lifting of arms ban
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8