Naxal couple surrenders in Chhattisgarh, another Maoist held
Raipur: A Naxal couple on Monday surrendered before police in Chhattisgarh`s Maoist-hit Bijapur district, and a Maoist was arrested in Kanker district, police said.
Jagat Lekam (25) and his wife Vimla Karam (24), members of a military company of Maoist and actively involved in several Naxal incidents in the region, surrendered this afternoon, Bijapur Superintendent of Police Prashant Agrawal told PTI.
Jagat told police that he had joined the Naxal movement at an early age and later realised that it had drifted away from its original goals, which prompted him to leave the movement, Agrawal said.
Vimla, who joined Maoists cadre in 2006, claimed that she was denied basic necessities, humiliated, thrashed and abused by the senior members.
The couple will be rehabilitated as per the surrender policies of the Centre and Chhattisgarh government, police said.
In a separate incident, a Naxal, Budhram Markam, was arrested during a joint search operation of district force and BSF from Chingnar village under Tadoki police station limits in Kanker district last night.
Markam was involved several cases of crime including robbery, arson and murder, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say