Naxal surrenders in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A Naxalite surrendered to police along with his weapons in Maoist-hit Narayanpur district of Chhattisgarh today.
"Naveen, Divisional Committee Member of Mad Division of Maoists, surrendered along with his weapons before senior police officials," Narayanpur Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) N K Sahu said.
The 35-year-old was active in Nelnaar area of the district since 2002 and involved in several crimes like murder, loot and arson, he said.
"He decided to quit the movement due to growing pressure on Naxals from security personnel, harsh forest life and humiliation by his seniors," the ASP said.
Naveen surrendered along with one Insas rifle, 3 magazines (47 rounds) and one wireless set, the officer said.
Fed up with the life he was living, Naveen decided to lay down his arms and take benefit of the State Government`s Naxal rehabilitation scheme, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth