Two suspected SIMI men held in Raipur
Raipur: Two more suspected SIMI members, allegedly involved in procuring funds for the banned outfit, were arrested in the state capital, police said on Sunday.
Police are questioning them in connection with the blasts at BJP leader Narendra Modi`s poll rally in Patna last month and also the explosions at Bodh Gaya in July.
Mohammed Saeed Abdul Jaleel (50) and Azharuddin Samshuddin Qureshi (19) were apprehended last evening, a senior officer said.
"Jaleel, a resident of Sanjay Nagar area, and Qureshi of Rajatalab locality were nabbed for their alleged links with the banned terror outfit," Raipur SP OP Pal told PTI.
With the arrest of the duo, the number of activists linked to the Student Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) held from Chhattisgarh so far, has reached 13, he said.
As per initial inputs, Jaleel and Qureshi were involved in arranging funds for the banned outfit and also attended camps organised by the terror module being run by Umer Siddhiqui, arrested on November 14 for allegedly masterminding Bodh Gaya blasts.
Police said Jaleel was running a medical shop at Baijnathpara here. "Azharuddin discontinued his studies and was reportedly participating in camps organised by Siddiqui," the SP said.
"More startling disclosure would come up further as the investigation progresses," he added.
Police had apprehended Sidhhiqui, who runs a coaching centre in Raja Talab, and auto driver Abdul Wahid Khan (54) of Pandri area on November 14 for their alleged links with SIMI.
Police later held Sheikh Habibullah, Roshan Sheikh, Hayat Khan, Sheikh Ajijullah, Moinuddin Kureshi and Md Aziz. On Thursday night, three more suspects namely Md Dawood, M Aslam and Sheikh Subhan were netted.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive