Vibha Rao denies making controversial statement
Raipur: Vibha Rao, the chairperson of Chhattisgarh State Women Commission, on Saturday denied making the controversial remark that women are ``equally responsible`` for the sexual offences committed against them.
"Actually, I would never say like this. Both women and men are equally responsible to protect themselves, but no permission is given to the men to commit a crime. Women must remain perfect for self-defence that is a entirely a different issue, but men should not decide as to what should be the limits of the woman," she said.
Rao also called for strengthening of laws and a change in the mindset.
"Women, influenced by western culture, send wrong signals through their dress and behaviour and men often take the cue from those signals. Women display their bodies and indulge in various obscene activities. Women are unaware of the kind of message [their actions] generate," a newspaper quoted her as saying earlier.
Vibha Rao`s statement came at a time when the nation is mourning the death of the 23-year-old medical student who was brutally assaulted and gang-raped on a moving bus in the national capital on December 16 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan