Vibha Rao denies making controversial statement
Raipur: Vibha Rao, the chairperson of Chhattisgarh State Women Commission, on Saturday denied making the controversial remark that women are ``equally responsible`` for the sexual offences committed against them.
"Actually, I would never say like this. Both women and men are equally responsible to protect themselves, but no permission is given to the men to commit a crime. Women must remain perfect for self-defence that is a entirely a different issue, but men should not decide as to what should be the limits of the woman," she said.
Rao also called for strengthening of laws and a change in the mindset.
"Women, influenced by western culture, send wrong signals through their dress and behaviour and men often take the cue from those signals. Women display their bodies and indulge in various obscene activities. Women are unaware of the kind of message [their actions] generate," a newspaper quoted her as saying earlier.
Vibha Rao`s statement came at a time when the nation is mourning the death of the 23-year-old medical student who was brutally assaulted and gang-raped on a moving bus in the national capital on December 16 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Revealed! Why 'Baahubali' didn’t feature a Bollywood star-cast!
- Top 5 ways to deal with mid-life crisis!
- Allahabad HC declines to entertain PIL to restrain media coverage of Kairana incident
- Despite tough training, we'll continue our Ramadan fast: Misbah-ul-Haq tells Mickey Arthur
- Shah Rukh, Ranbir, Abhishek and Amitabh clicked together at Pro Kabaddi League! Pics inside