Women vigilance committee for all tribal schools in Chhattisgarh: CM
Raipur: In the backdrop of public outrage over the Kanker rape case, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh has said the functioning of the government-run residential schools and hostels for tribal girls would be changed to ensure better education environment.
A women`s vigilance committee comprising local women public representatives will be constituted for each residential (ashram) school and hostels for tribal girls to carry out routine inspection, Singh said yesterday while addressing a public function in Balod district headquarters.
"The state government has been focusing on spreading education in the tribal regions. To ensure better education environment in government-run residential schools and hostels for tribal girls, certain changes are being made in their system," the Chief Minister said.
"In these residential schools and hostels, a women vigilance committee will be set very soon," he said.
On Saturday, Raman Singh had said his government had decided to send a proposal to the Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court to set up fast-track courts in all the districts for speedy disposal of rape cases.
He had also said that women`s vigilance committee comprising local women public representatives will be constituted for each residential (ashram) school and hostels for tribal girls to carry out routine inspection. The female public representatives, including panch, sarpanch and corporators, will be inducted into the committees.
The incident of sexual assault on minor inmates of the government-run residential school for tribal girls in Jhaliyamari village of Kanker district was reported to police on January 6, following which a contract teacher and school watchman were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur