Women vigilance committee for all tribal schools in Chhattisgarh: CM
Raipur: In the backdrop of public outrage over the Kanker rape case, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh has said the functioning of the government-run residential schools and hostels for tribal girls would be changed to ensure better education environment.
A women`s vigilance committee comprising local women public representatives will be constituted for each residential (ashram) school and hostels for tribal girls to carry out routine inspection, Singh said yesterday while addressing a public function in Balod district headquarters.
"The state government has been focusing on spreading education in the tribal regions. To ensure better education environment in government-run residential schools and hostels for tribal girls, certain changes are being made in their system," the Chief Minister said.
"In these residential schools and hostels, a women vigilance committee will be set very soon," he said.
On Saturday, Raman Singh had said his government had decided to send a proposal to the Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court to set up fast-track courts in all the districts for speedy disposal of rape cases.
He had also said that women`s vigilance committee comprising local women public representatives will be constituted for each residential (ashram) school and hostels for tribal girls to carry out routine inspection. The female public representatives, including panch, sarpanch and corporators, will be inducted into the committees.
The incident of sexual assault on minor inmates of the government-run residential school for tribal girls in Jhaliyamari village of Kanker district was reported to police on January 6, following which a contract teacher and school watchman were arrested.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro