DTC employee sent to 4yrs in jail for accepting Rs 2K bribe
New Delhi: A 48-year-old DTC employee has been sentenced to four years in jail by a Delhi court for taking Rs 2,000 as bribe from a man, promising him a job of driver in the state public transport.
Special CBI Judge PS Teji awarded four-year rigorous imprisonment to Santok Dass saying "corruption by public servants has become a gigantic problem".
"Corruption has spread everywhere and no facet of public activity has been left unaffected by the sting of corruption.
"It has deep and pervasive impact on the functioning of the entire country and large-scale corruption retards the national building activities and everyone has to suffer on that count," the judge said, while also imposing a fine of Rs 50,000 on Dass.
Dass was arrested by the CBI on a complaint by one Narender Tyagi, who worked as a temporary driver with DTC during 2005-06, but had been turned out of job for absence from work for a month due to his father`s illness.
The DTC later began recruiting drivers on short-term basis later in August 2007, when Tyagi went to apply for it and happened to meet Dass, then working as conductor at East Vinod Nagar depot.
Dass demanded Rs 3,000 from Tyagi for getting his name approved as driver, but the latter lodged a complaint with the CBI, leading to Dass` arrest in a trap.
Sending Dass to jail, the judge said "corruption is corroding our country like cancerous lymph nodes, the vital veins of the body politics, social fabric of efficiency in the public service and demoralising the honest officers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery