Meera elected Mayor of North Delhi Municipal Corp
New Delhi: Three-time Councillor Meera Aggarwal was on Monday elected unopposed as the Mayor of the newly created North Delhi Municipal Corporation while her party colleague Azad Singh became the Deputy Mayor.
The election to the post of Mayor and Deputy Mayor along with six Standing Committee members were held at Civic Centre here.
50-year-old Aggarwal, an LLB degree holder, was elected from Sawan Park ward in the elections held on April 15.
Elected unopposed as Congress chose not to field any candidate, she will be the first mayor of the North Delhi Municipal Corporation.
Azad Singh (BJP) was also elected unopposed to the post of Deputy Mayor. Singh is the Councillor from Mundka.
The election to the Standing Committee was also held on Monday in which four BJP Councillors and two Congress members were elected to the body.
Yogender Chandolia (Dev Nagar), V P Pandey (Rohini North), Surinder Kaur (Karampura) and Hoor Banu (Qasabpura) -- all from BJP -- and Congress` Mukesh Goel (Dheerpur) and Prithvi Singh Rathore (Peeragarhi) were elected unopposed to the six-member body.
All the newly elected councillors were sworn in.
The election to the East Delhi Corporation will be held tomorrow.
The election of BJP`s Annapoorna Mishra as Mayor and Usha Shastri as Deputy Mayor is a matter of formality now as Congress has not fielded any candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'