Meera elected Mayor of North Delhi Municipal Corp
New Delhi: Three-time Councillor Meera Aggarwal was on Monday elected unopposed as the Mayor of the newly created North Delhi Municipal Corporation while her party colleague Azad Singh became the Deputy Mayor.
The election to the post of Mayor and Deputy Mayor along with six Standing Committee members were held at Civic Centre here.
50-year-old Aggarwal, an LLB degree holder, was elected from Sawan Park ward in the elections held on April 15.
Elected unopposed as Congress chose not to field any candidate, she will be the first mayor of the North Delhi Municipal Corporation.
Azad Singh (BJP) was also elected unopposed to the post of Deputy Mayor. Singh is the Councillor from Mundka.
The election to the Standing Committee was also held on Monday in which four BJP Councillors and two Congress members were elected to the body.
Yogender Chandolia (Dev Nagar), V P Pandey (Rohini North), Surinder Kaur (Karampura) and Hoor Banu (Qasabpura) -- all from BJP -- and Congress` Mukesh Goel (Dheerpur) and Prithvi Singh Rathore (Peeragarhi) were elected unopposed to the six-member body.
All the newly elected councillors were sworn in.
The election to the East Delhi Corporation will be held tomorrow.
The election of BJP`s Annapoorna Mishra as Mayor and Usha Shastri as Deputy Mayor is a matter of formality now as Congress has not fielded any candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum