Meera elected Mayor of North Delhi Municipal Corp
New Delhi: Three-time Councillor Meera Aggarwal was on Monday elected unopposed as the Mayor of the newly created North Delhi Municipal Corporation while her party colleague Azad Singh became the Deputy Mayor.
The election to the post of Mayor and Deputy Mayor along with six Standing Committee members were held at Civic Centre here.
50-year-old Aggarwal, an LLB degree holder, was elected from Sawan Park ward in the elections held on April 15.
Elected unopposed as Congress chose not to field any candidate, she will be the first mayor of the North Delhi Municipal Corporation.
Azad Singh (BJP) was also elected unopposed to the post of Deputy Mayor. Singh is the Councillor from Mundka.
The election to the Standing Committee was also held on Monday in which four BJP Councillors and two Congress members were elected to the body.
Yogender Chandolia (Dev Nagar), V P Pandey (Rohini North), Surinder Kaur (Karampura) and Hoor Banu (Qasabpura) -- all from BJP -- and Congress` Mukesh Goel (Dheerpur) and Prithvi Singh Rathore (Peeragarhi) were elected unopposed to the six-member body.
All the newly elected councillors were sworn in.
The election to the East Delhi Corporation will be held tomorrow.
The election of BJP`s Annapoorna Mishra as Mayor and Usha Shastri as Deputy Mayor is a matter of formality now as Congress has not fielded any candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test, Day 3 — As it happened...
- Two dead, 10 injured as under-construction building collapses in Hyderabad