Britain losing one million birds a year
London: Britain has been experiencing an annual loss of nearly a million breeding wild birds, a total of 44 million since 1966, a report by a coalition of wildlife groups has revealed.
The report has highlighted that the crisis in the countryside is so great that an average of 50 house sparrows have been lost every hour and about 835 starlings, medium-sized passerine birds in the family Sturnidae, everyday, Daily Express reported.
An estimated 27 million breeding pairs were lost between the mid-70s and mid-80s. Since then green farming grants have helped several species, including stone curlew, recover.
The European Union (EU) plans to slash the green farming budget by up to 20 percent. Last week, unelected EU president Herman van Rompuy called for deep cuts.
Paul Wilkinson, of the Wildlife Trust, said: "We need more, not less, investment if we want to halt the decline of wild species and places."
The study State Of The UK`s Birds 2012 by a coalition of wildlife groups shows that there are about 166 million nesting birds compared with 210 million in 1966.
Among the species worst affected are house sparrows whose numbers have plunged from 30 million to 10 million. The turtle dove, a summer visitor, has suffered a 90 percent decline, from 140,000 to 14,000 breeding pairs.
Among others the number of velvet scoter sea ducks, overwintering here, has decreased from several thousands to less than 100. Long-tailed ducks are in similar decline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks