Carbon dioxide can be future fuel source
New York: In a significant breakthrough, scientists have synthesised a catalyst that improves the system for converting waste carbon dioxide into syngas -- a precursor of gasoline and other energy-rich products.
Scientists from University of Illinois in Chicago developed a unique two-step catalytic process that uses molybdenum disulfide and an ionic liquid to "reduce", or transfer electrons, to carbon dioxide in a chemical reaction.
The new catalyst improves efficiency and lowers cost by replacing expensive metals like gold or silver in the reduction reaction.
"With this catalyst, we can directly reduce carbon dioxide to syngas without the need for a secondary, expensive gasification process," said Mohammad Asadi from University of Illinois.
In other chemical-reduction systems, the only reaction product is carbon monoxide.
The new catalyst produces syngas, a mixture of carbon monoxide plus hydrogen.
"The proportion of carbon monoxide to hydrogen in the syngas produced in the reaction can also be easily manipulated using the new catalyst," added Amin Salehi-Khojin, a professor of mechanical and industrial engineering.
This is a real breakthrough that can take a waste gas - carbon dioxide - and use inexpensive catalysts to produce another source of energy at large-scale, while making a healthier environment, researchers claimed.
The study was published in the journal Nature Communications.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case