Climate change precipitates food shortages, unrest
Sydney: Long-term climate change has often destabilized civilizations through food shortages, hunger, infectious disease and unrest, a study reveals.
Historical records foreshadow a grim picture for a future threatened by even greater climate change, says the study by the Australian National University (ANU).
Tony McMichael, professor at the ANU National Centre for Epidemiology and population Health, examined climate change and its impact over the last 6,000 to 7,000 years, as documented in historical, fossil and archaeological records.
"And history tells us some very alarming things. Firstly, long-term climate changes have often destabilized civilizations through food shortages, consequent hunger, infectious disease and unrest," the journal Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences reported.
Medium-term climatic adversity -- including, floods, drought and plague -- have caused similar health, social and sometimes political consequences, a university statement said.
"On top of this when the world has gone through brief episodes of temperature shifts, there have been outbreaks of infectious diseases which have been compounded by food shortages, social disruption and impoverishment," said McMichael.
"Unfortunately the long-term impacts to human health, safety and wellbeing are overlooked. I wanted to go back over the historical record to see how the factors crucial to our survival were affected by climate change," he said.
"Global climate change poses many risks to human health, safety and survival. Most environmental systems that sustain human population health, including food yields, water supply natural constraints on human disease and protection against weather extremes, are sensitive to climate change," said McMichael.
"Modern societies, while larger, are better resourced and more interconnected than past societies, and are less flexible, more infrastructure-dependent, densely populated and therefore more vulnerable," added McMichael.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are