Formation of proposed Tiger Reserve justified
Erode: Justifying formation of a `Tiger Reserve Project` in Sathyamangalam forest, Tamil Nadu Forest Minister K.T. Pachamal has said if such a reserve was formed, the area will get more funds which can be used for the welfare of the tribal people.
After inspecting the Vellode Birds Sanctuary near here yesterday, he said "The rights of the forest dwelling people provided under Forest Rights Act 2006 would not be affected."
Tribals would be allowed to collect the forest produce in 25000 hectares in the proposed Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve Project area, he added.
More than 4000 tribals of Sathyamangalam forest had staged a demonstration demonstration yesterday opposing government`s proposal to form a Tiger Reserve project in the area.
The Minister also said that the state Government would plant over 680 crore saplings on private lands in the next eight years with an intention to increase the green cover in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar