Formation of proposed Tiger Reserve justified
Erode: Justifying formation of a `Tiger Reserve Project` in Sathyamangalam forest, Tamil Nadu Forest Minister K.T. Pachamal has said if such a reserve was formed, the area will get more funds which can be used for the welfare of the tribal people.
After inspecting the Vellode Birds Sanctuary near here yesterday, he said "The rights of the forest dwelling people provided under Forest Rights Act 2006 would not be affected."
Tribals would be allowed to collect the forest produce in 25000 hectares in the proposed Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve Project area, he added.
More than 4000 tribals of Sathyamangalam forest had staged a demonstration demonstration yesterday opposing government`s proposal to form a Tiger Reserve project in the area.
The Minister also said that the state Government would plant over 680 crore saplings on private lands in the next eight years with an intention to increase the green cover in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!