`Leaked` IPCC report warns of `devastating rise of 4-5 C`
London: A new leaked report of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change ( IPCC) reportedly warns that the temperature could increase by about 4 to 5 degree C, compared with pre-industrial levels, if no action is taken to halt it.
The reports also said that it is still not too late to halt global warming to less than 2C, which experts regard as the minimum needed to avoid radical global shifts, ht Independent reported.
However, the reports suggested scenarios that would mean cutting global emissions by 40 to 70 per cent by 2050 from 2010 levels.
The scenarios hinted towards replacing coal-fired power plants with more efficient alternatives and switching towards renewable energy, nuclear power and fossil energy whose carbon emissions are captured or stored.
Mike Childs , head of science, policy and research at Friends of the Earth, said that at this level, 20 to 30 per cent of our wildlife could be threatened, as well as face more extreme weather.
He said that at 4C of warming, there could be a "devastating" impact on agriculture, wildlife and human civilisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city