`Leaked` IPCC report warns of `devastating rise of 4-5 C`
London: A new leaked report of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change ( IPCC) reportedly warns that the temperature could increase by about 4 to 5 degree C, compared with pre-industrial levels, if no action is taken to halt it.
The reports also said that it is still not too late to halt global warming to less than 2C, which experts regard as the minimum needed to avoid radical global shifts, ht Independent reported.
However, the reports suggested scenarios that would mean cutting global emissions by 40 to 70 per cent by 2050 from 2010 levels.
The scenarios hinted towards replacing coal-fired power plants with more efficient alternatives and switching towards renewable energy, nuclear power and fossil energy whose carbon emissions are captured or stored.
Mike Childs , head of science, policy and research at Friends of the Earth, said that at this level, 20 to 30 per cent of our wildlife could be threatened, as well as face more extreme weather.
He said that at 4C of warming, there could be a "devastating" impact on agriculture, wildlife and human civilisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption