London smog forces British PM Cameron to skip jog
London: The thick blanket of smog caused by dust from Africa`s Sahara desert that is engulfing the city of London today even forced British Prime Minister David Cameron to cancel his daily morning jog.
Saharan dust has caused high levels of air pollution in the British capital, which was left gasping for fresh air for the second day.
Cameron, who runs every day as part of his morning routine, told BBC, " didn`t go for my morning run this morning. I chose to do some work instead. It is unpleasant, and you can feel it in the air.
The advice I would give to people is listen very carefully to what the Met Office is saying about the weather".
Some schools in London have banned pupils from outdoor playgrounds to reduce their exposure to the polluted air.
London Ambulance Service reported a 14 per cent rise yesterday in 999 calls related to breathing difficulties.
The smog-like conditions, which are expected to clear tomorrow, are caused by a mixture of local and continental pollution, and dust from the Sahara
Health warnings have been issued for people with lung and heart conditions.
The UK`s Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has a 10-point scale for measuring air quality with level one implying a "low" risk of air pollution and 10 for "very high" levels.
Levels in eastern England had reached level nine, meaning high, this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read