Migratory birds continue winter sojourn in Chilika lake
Berhampur: Some migratory birds flocking the famous Chilika lake in Odisha during winter have continued to stay back at the lagoon, a trend dubbed as unusual by birdwatchers.
"This is an unusual trend. Greater flamingo, pelican and Brahmani duck can still be seen in the lake despite the abnormal rise in temperature. These species embark on a return journey with the onset of summer", divisional forest officer (Chilika) BP Acharya said.
The DFO said the birds take shelter in nearby villages during the day and return to Nalabana sanctuary area, once the temperature dips in the evening.
Though the reason behind their continuing sojourn is yet to be known, Acharya felt the birds might have stayed back due to availability of food and good habitat conditions.
Around 8.77 lakh birds of 180 species thronged Chilika during last winter, he said.
There are around 2,000 flamingos, 300 pelicans and 200 Brahmani ducks in the lake. Their exact number would be known after the summer census, in the third week of May, he said.
Deputy Director of Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) S Balchandran said there was a need for a comprehensive study to find out the reason behind their prolonged stay.
"This is not a lone case. There have been similar reports from other habitats too", he said.
Another ornithologist said flamingos have made Chilika home for the last few years. "These species had been sighted in the blue lagoon and there is a need to monitor their behaviour so that they make it a permanent abode," retired forest officer Sudhakar Mohapatra said.
Flamingos migrate to Kutch in Gujarat during rains for breeding and again fly to Chilika in winter along with other bird species.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan
- North Korea leader says missile test `greatest success`