MoEF to submit report by Jan 9 on ways to protect Kaziranga
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal today gave time till January 9 to the Environment Ministry to submit its report on ways to protect the environment inside Kaziranga sanctuary as also the wild life there which is being affected by traffic movement on National Highway 37 passing through it.
The Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) had been directed by NGT to furnish its report today after holding a meeting with the Ministries of Petroleum and Transport as well as the Assam government.
However, the ministry today informed a bench, headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar, that more time is required to furnish its final report as it will also include technical aspects like whether underpasses or flyovers can be built in the area and the extent to which vehicular speed can be regulated/checked on the 18 km stretch of NH-37 through Kaziranga, famous for its rhinos.
MOEF also informed the tribunal that one meeting had been held on December 2 and another will be held soon.
NGT had on November 19 directed the three ministries and the Assam government to "immediately hold a meeting to suggest measures which have to be taken for protecting the environment on the National Highway as well as injury to wildlife and human beings particularly with regard to stretch of 18 km (through the sanctuary)."
The NGT`s order had come on a plea filed by RTI activist Rohit Choudhury opposing expansion of the NH-37 stretch running through the national park, claiming that "continued unregulated use of NH-37 is leading to death of wild animals and reptiles in large numbers in road accidents".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India