Ozone peaked to dangerous levels in Delhi: Study
Zee Media Bureau/ Salome Phelamei
New Delhi: Even as residents in Delhi continue to battle the soaring temperature this summer, the Ozone has also peaked to dangerous levels in the national capital.
According to a recent study by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), the Ozone levels have shot up by 315% at Delhi`s Mandir Marg and 82% at IGI airport. Furthermore, 87% have shot up in Civil Lines and 171% in Punjabi Bagh, within a week.
Examination of real-time air quality data from key monitoring locations of the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) from January to early June 2014, shows the rapid build-up of ozone and frequent deviation from pollution standards this summer.
The CSE study also shows that frequency of days violating ozone standards has increased with the onset of summer.
The study revealed that increased in numbers of vehicles, especially diesel-powered ones that spew much higher levels of nitrogen oxide and volatile organic compounds, are responsible for the rise in Ozone gas in the air.
Ozone is a serious threat for people suffering from asthma and respiratory illnesses. Hence, people suffering from these disease should take extra care this hot season.
On June 9, Delhi witnessed the hottest day in the last five years with the maximum temperature settled at 45.5 degrees Celsius, six notches above the season`s average.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- Panama Papers' database to go public on May 9
- Buddhadeb, Rahul share stage, call for saving West Bengal from TMC
- Must Read! Narayana Murthy's heartfelt letter to his daughter will make you miss your dad
- PM Modi meets Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS today
- AgustaWestland scam: Arvind Kejriwal asks Modi govt 'What are you waiting for?'