Plant immune system provides resistance against diseases: Study
Melbourne: Plant immune system provides resistance against common plant diseases, according to a new study.
Researchers at the University of Queensland in Australia said the international team`s unique findings describe how a pair of plant proteins fights back.
Simon Williams from UQ`s School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences said, "When these proteins are disturbed by an infection, the infected cell dies allowing for the immunity of the entire plant."
"In this remarkable process the entire plant becomes immune at the expense of few noble cells. We detail how plant protein immune receptors regulate each other and coordinate a response when threatened by infection," Williams said.
Research leader Bostjan Kobe said while many plant resistance genes have been identified in the past two decades, scientists have limited knowledge of how they work.
"It is vitally important that we understand how plant immune systems function because pre-harvest plant diseases account for up to 15 per cent of crop loss every year," Kobe said, adding that, "This is a significant economic and environmental challenge for a world already under pressure to produce more food, fibre and biofuels."
"The study could also fuel future research in human health, as there is significant overlap between the mechanisms that plants and humans use to detect and respond to disease.
"To help our understanding of the plant interactions we used x-ray crystallography techniques to determine the protein structures," Kobe said.
"We are particularly pleased as 2014 is the International Year of Crystallography and this project is a great example of how crystallography can contribute to diverse fields, including plant immunity," he said.
The research has been published in?Science journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city